Piano (1 Viewer)

Cheers, thought it might be something like that.

No one doing jazz grades then?

What do you want to know about jazz grades? I had a look at the syllabus before and a few of the grade books. And yea, there's at least one grade (if not 2?) in the difference between Associated Board and Royal Irish Academy. Associated Board is alot more difficult from my experience. But thats a good thing.

usually people just say whatever one they did is harder than the other ones

I'm in the process of doing grade 5 RIAM but I think id like to switch to jazz grades after that. The jazz exams seem a lot more interesting to me plus the improvisation side of things definitely appeals.

What do you want to know about jazz grades? I had a look at the syllabus before and a few of the grade books. And yea, there's at least one grade (if not 2?) in the difference between Associated Board and Royal Irish Academy. Associated Board is alot more difficult from my experience. But thats a good thing.

eh got cut off before I finished that post...

I don't wanna be someone who finishes grade 8 and can still only play grade pieces. I'm learning piano for the same reason I learned guitar - just to have some fun with it.

The goal is to be able to just sit down and play songs by ear which i know is a long way off but it seems to me that maybe jazz grades would be better for this (improv)

Don't know anyone that's done em though so not sure

I'm in the process of doing grade 5 RIAM but I think id like to switch to jazz grades after that. The jazz exams seem a lot more interesting to me plus the improvisation side of things definitely appeals.

Thats a good idea. As long as you like jazz i guess!

slightly meandering off the point but how difficult do you think the piano is to start as an adult? i've been prevously warned off but i'd still love to learn.

there was a two-part booklet with the guardian last year - guide to piano and keyboard. i have plonked around hamfistedly on keys over the years, but i spent a week or two doing the exercises in this and it helped a few things fall in place, improved my fingering :)eek:) etc. i thought it was a pretty decent introduction

there's some of it up on the website:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/piano-keyboard-guide
but it's nicer and handier as a booklet if you can find it as a pdf. if not and anyone is interested i'll scan it and put it up somewhere.

slightly meandering off the point but how difficult do you think the piano is to start as an adult? i've been prevously warned off but i'd still love to learn.

If you have any musical talent or experience it should be adaptable between instruments. Go for it.

Piano's probably the best instrument to learn, for any age, cultural background, mental condition, race, mammals, fish even, it's just great

Kevin: Jazz lessons will definitely set you up better as a versatile accompanist etc.; classical style is more mechanical for sure.

Jonah: I had no great difficulty taking up piano much later in life - fluency in reading still a big problem, that's where the kids get the advantage.

Big disadvantage to piano as instrument is the inexpressiveness in terms of bending notes, vibrato etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back