phone overkill (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
I got given a "work phone". It is a Samsung s20. It is total overkill. It is for phone calls and phone calls only.
How can I use this thing as a phone?

Just turning it on it's asking me for wifi codes, why should I connect it to my wifi when it has a sim in it. I just know it's going to start asking me for a google account and all that shite.

Seriously the most basic phone in the world would have done the job.

I’d suggest turning off/disabling all wifi & mobile data for starters. Then uninstall every app you possibly can. Your IT people might have something to say about that so before you do either ask them if they can completely disable all smartphone capabilities using whatever MDM platform they manage their phones with.

Alternatively just ask them for a non smart phone. Chances are they can get whatever handsets they want from their contracted supplier.

Also worth reminding everyone that if there’s an MDM client on your work phone they can probably see your location history and everything you use on the device (whether they’re officially supposed to or not). That alone is reason enough to not have an official phone (like me) or to ask for it to be completely lobotomised.

The word 'phone' has basically lost its meaning, as it relates to mobiles

They aren't phones anymore, no more than I'm a newborn baby

my son was asking for my phone today, and I had the thought of how unimaginably different the meaning he attaches to that word is to what I would have at his age.

for me it was this big clicking ringing link to far way people anchored to the wall in the hall.

for him its an endless sources of diversions and entertainments - he plays the synths on garageband for fecks sake.

They've been more accurately televisions for a few years, but try telling that to people who say 'choices' instead of 'options'.

tele-

before vowels tel-, word-forming element meaning "far, far off, operating over distance" (also, since c. 1940, "television"), from Greek tele "far off, afar, at or to a distance," related to teleos (genitive telos) "end, goal, completion, result," from PIE root *kwel- (2) "far" in space or time.

vision (n.)

c. 1300, "something seen in the imagination or in the supernatural," from Anglo-French visioun, Old French vision "presence, sight; view, look, appearance; dream, supernatural sight" (12c.), from Latin visionem (nominative visio) "act of seeing, sight, thing seen," noun of action from past participle stem of videre "to see," from PIE root *weid- "to see." The meaning "sense of sight" is first recorded late 15c. Meaning "statesman-like foresight, political sagacity" is attested from 1926.

my son was asking for my phone today, and I had the thought of how unimaginably different the meaning he attaches to that word is to what I would have at his age.

for me it was this big clicking ringing link to far way people anchored to the wall in the hall.

for him its an endless sources of diversions and entertainments - he plays the synths on garageband for fecks sake.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with a young one just out of college here at work
I was showing them something about their desk – and mentioned that they would use the socket next to the phone and they didn’t connect that the landline was a ‘phone’

“What phone?”

[me picking up phone] “this phone?”

“Oh, the phone

Like they copped the desktop landline was also called a phone, like archaically.
May as well have been talking about a fax machine.

It was only for a second, but Jesus.
These kids today. Don’t know they’re born.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with a young one just out of college here at work
I was showing them something about their desk – and mentioned that they would use the socket next to the phone and they didn’t connect that the landline was a ‘phone’

“What phone?”

[me picking up phone] “this phone?”

“Oh, the phone

Like they copped the desktop landline was also called a phone, like archaically.
May as well have been talking about a fax machine.

It was only for a second, but Jesus.
These kids today. Don’t know they’re born.

when you catch her streaming spotify you can launch into rambling tales of 90min cassettes and taking the bus up to dublin to buy cds in the virgin megastore.

just to double down like.

when you catch her streaming spotify you can launch into rambling tales of 90min cassettes and taking the bus up to dublin to buy cds in the virgin megastore.

Soo many stories like that

But I have to be nice to her
She's the only one that knows how to connect all the shit for Teams meetings
Like getting the laptop to connect to the big screen and dialing in for sound and all that?
Always ask the youngest person in the room

As I was saying, these kids today. Bloody brilliant.

The fucking mind-bending idea that there was a shop near where you lived and they had hundreds (HUNDREDS!) of films available for rent
Shangri-La, baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back