7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
So someone knew who killed this poor kid all along.

Godawful stuff.

Anyone remember this Capt Cooke character?

Gardai believe paedophile DJ Eamon 'Captain' Cooke may have killed schoolboy Philip Cairns - Independent.ie

The woman came forward to gardai in Terenure last month.

She told gardai that she had seen Cooke in his radio studios with the schoolboy in and around the time he disappeared.
Gardai are believed to be treating the woman's story as credible.

On foot of this information, they spoke to Cooke shortly before his death.
It is believed that Cooke told gardai he had met the schoolboy.

It is not known if he verified other aspects of the woman's story.

What I don't get is, if Cooke knew Cairns, and all this shit was known about Cooke, why was he never quizzed on it? Maybe people didn't know about the connection, I don't know.

I remember this incident like it was yesterday. He went missing about 2 miles from my house, and there'd have been 2 months difference between us in age. I was in first year in secondary school too, and 2 lads in my class had been in his primary school class. I remember the cops coming into our school, talking to all classes (particularly 1st years) about personal safety. Most of all I remember gossips in the area speculating on it, so-much-so that they nearly had the poor aul lad who lived alone in my estate, proved guilty for it.

This is horrible though. For this to come out now, in one way is a good thing cos it might bring some bit of closure for the family. But that it took til after that scumbag died, and that they'll likely never find the body, is horrible.

I hope the Cooke fucker rots in hell

What I don't get is, if Cooke knew Cairns, and all this shit was known about Cooke, why was he never quizzed on it? Maybe people didn't know about the connection, I don't know.

I remember this incident like it was yesterday. He went missing about 2 miles from my house, and there'd have been 2 months difference between us in age. I was in first year in secondary school too, and 2 lads in my class had been in his primary school class. I remember the cops coming into our school, talking to all classes (particularly 1st years) about personal safety. Most of all I remember gossips in the area speculating on it, so-much-so that they nearly had the poor aul lad who lived alone in my estate, proved guilty for it.

This is horrible though. For this to come out now, in one way is a good thing cos it might bring some bit of closure for the family. But that it took til after that scumbag died, and that they'll likely never find the body, is horrible.

I hope the Cooke fucker rots in hell

I didn't live near him or you, but Philip Cairns' name was almost up there with the bogeyman. As a kid knowing that there was someone out there who could make you disappear forever walking home from school. I think everyone got a little chill when they thought about it.

Maybe because it was with girls that the offences weren't linked?
My own experiences with the Gards being less than a crack force might seep in here, but it seems they did make a huge effort.

That woman let Cairns Dad die without telling anyone.
People are so fucked sometimes.

According to P.ie Cooke was in the IRA, if true it may explain the ladies failure to come forward. Still though, not sure how you could live with that on your mind, particularly given its a high profile case that gets brought up again and again.

from the Irish Times

Ms Copley said another woman who came forward in recent weeks with crucial new information about the disappearance should not be criticised for waiting so long.

She said the woman was reported to have been a victim of Cooke and would have lived “in terror” of him. Reports said the woman made a statement to gardaí on May 10th saying that she was nine when she witnessed Cairns at the Radio Dublin studios Cooke owned in Inchicore.

I think we need to hold fire on the woman in question. She was obviously quite terified of Cooke

i was baffled why anyone assumed she did it out of badness in the first place...obviously she would have had her reasons

Philip Cairns And A Trail Of Disinformation

Pretty comprehensive piece on the history of the Philip Cairns story

There is no doubt that Cooke was an evil and violent man.

In 1957 he was sentenced to 5 years penal servitude after he pleaded guilty to shooting at four gardaí while they inspected a parked car, which contained a large empty tank, in Bray, Co. Wicklow.

In 1986 he was again convicted of an arson attack on a former employee who had been dating his ex girlfriend.

Although described by newspaper reports of the time as ‘a young girl with whom he had had a love affair,’ she was in fact a woman who had been sexually abused by Cooke from childhood and had herself subsequently borne a child to him.

Not someone to be messed with from the sounds of it.

from the Irish Times

I think we need to hold fire on the woman in question. She was obviously quite terified of Cooke

We also need to remember that she was 9 and it's 30 years after the fact, in terms of reliability of testimony.
All that seems to have actively happened is an interview with Cooke on his deathbed and they're checking DNA.

The Gards have every reason to leak this right now, as there are other stories they'd rather not be talking about.

Retired Gards that worked on the case are skeptical.

The Gards have every reason to leak this right now, as there are other stories they'd rather not be talking about.

Ain't that the truth. Look at the way they 'released' the story, a word with the two Pauls, who can always be relied on to put out a garda story as told to them with the minimum of analysis.
A paedophile never mentioned before in connection with the case (as far as I'm aware) dies and next thing he's the guilty party? Bollocks.

Philip Cairns And A Trail Of Disinformation

Pretty comprehensive piece on the history of the Philip Cairns story

thats a hell of a read. Good job by whoever compiled all that.

I'd say the most recent version of the 'truth' is quite possibly distorted but I'd say the actual truth is in that article somewhere.

A couple of things that came to mind when reading it though. My knowledge of Cairns from that time was that he was the opposite of quiet. I distinctly remember asking the 2 lads in my class (who had been in his primary school class) what he was like. Their response was, 'well we didn't like him anyway'. The impression I got was that he was a bit mouthy. The type who'd always be slagging to get a rise from you. These 2 lads were very quiet, the types who'd be a target for the kind of lad I'd imagine Cairns to have been.

Secondly, the garda mentioned in a 2003 bullet-point (and who was also pictured in the irish independent this week holding the schoolbag) is local to the area. I know him to see, and have done so for the last 10 years (at least). The only relevance that may have is that I'm sure he'd be more than au fait with any rumours or conspiracy theories the locals may have. For example, I know in the case of Raonaid Murray, apparently everyone in Glenageary knows who did that, but that the person is untouchable due to family connections. I never got the impression that this was the case in the Cairns case. Though, Templeogue and Knocklyon/Rathfarnham were quite cut off from each other back in the 80s (until the 90s actually, when the M50 was extended, and the Spawell bridge was built). So although I lived close-by, we wouldn't really have known many from over that way.

The part of the story with the sacristan being found in the Royal canal, stripped to his underwear and with his shirt stuffed in his mouth completely threw me.
A poster over on P.ie makes an interesting point with regard to George Gibney, Frank McCann and Declan O'Rourke: all fond/convicted of child abuse and all living/working in the south Dublin area at the time (from Blackrock to Terenure via Rathfarnham)

Unreasonable Delay

Another Broadsheet timeline of events regarding the above.
Of course there's no evidence they were connected with Cairns but it's a high incidence of 'strange' goings on for what was then a relatively small population and I'd be surprised if there was more happening that hasn't come to light for one reason or another.

With respect, what kind of family connections preclude a murder investigation?
I'm not sure of the exact details. I just heard it mentioned in those terms.

But this is leafy-suburban-dublin. The type of area where schoolkids can kick another schoolkid to death and get away with barely a slap-on-the-wrist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back