Phantom FM to rebrand as K-Roq (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 85
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 4

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
no, really

Barry Hartigan said:
TOM Dunne is returning to his roots, presenting a music show on alternative rock radio station Phantom FM.

And he won't have to travel too far to work as the station is moving into Marconi House, the hub of Denis O'Brien's radio empire and home of Today FM and his current workplace, Newstalk.

Phantom, in which O'Brien purchased a 30% share of last year, is being rebranded under a bizarre new moniker, K-Roq.

Dunne, front man with 90s band Something Happens, has a distinguished background in radio. He began his broadcasting career with 98FM before moving to Today FM in 1999 where he presented an evening rock show.

In 2008, a year after Newstalk chief Denis O'Brien acquired Today FM, Dunne moved to Newstalk to present a daily twohour show.

Now he will juggle the morning show on Newstalk with an evening programme on K-Roq.

Phantom has confirmed that Dunne will prerecord his show which will be broadcast in an early-evening slot. Once the station has moved into Marconi House, changes will be made to the station's schedule and format.

Mr O'Brien's Communicorp is the single biggest radio investor in Ireland. It owns Newstalk, Today FM, Spin 1038 and 98FM. Mr O'Brien also has a substantial interest in Spin South West. Phantom 105.2 launched as a pirate station in 1996, taking to the Dublin airwaves as a fully licensed station from October 2006.

Tom Dunne was not available to comment on his new role in Phantom last night.

By bizzare, they might mean awful. It seems strange to give up a pretty strong brand name like Phantom, for something as unattractive and nondescript as that.

Pre-recorded shows always sound that bit removed and un-engaging compared to live ones. Strange move, but a handy number for Tom Dunne

prerecord also means only having to be there long enough to record the links & not sit through the music too.

Phantom has really gone to the dogs this past couple of years. Even they must know that, so I suppose they need to try something.

But I agree with Jim, like them or not, everyone knows them and everyone is familiar with the logo. Agreed on pre-recorded shows too. RTE do that over xmas when all their big names are off on holidays, both on telly and on radio. Whatever about telly, its certainly not the way to go about injecting new life into an ailing radio station. Get him to do it live, in a primetime slot, and he'll get listeners back. Otherwise, it won't work.

K-Roc is a stupid name. The K is an american thing is it not, denoting where the station is located geographically? I think K is for west coast (california anyway).

Theres nothing bizzarre about Phantom rebranding to K-ROQ

Anyone who has lived and worked on sites in the states will testify that K-ROQ is the nationally ubiquitous M.O.R RAWK station that all the lads listen to..used to be the home of HOWARD STERN...so its an obvious progression for Phantom...

You'd be as likely to hear independant music on that as you would 4fm.

The Internet said:
Broadcast stations in North America generally use call letters in the international series. There are some common conventions followed in each country. In the United States, the first letter generally is K for stations west of the Mississippi River and W for those east of the Mississippi;

to me its strange they'd adopt the american convention. I'm sure Ireland must have its own seeing as this stems from shipping radio call signs.

I might set up a TV station in England and call it RTE1.

They need this guy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back