Peter Carey (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
Any fans? I was going to wait until i was finished Parrot & Olivier in America to start a thread but I'm too excited. This is an excellent book. His last one - His Illegal Self - was fairly shite and Theft: A Love Story was enjoyable but not outstanding. I thought he was past it but this one is excellent, definitely a return to Illywhacker or Oscar & Lucinda standards. Of course, since I havent finished it yet I dont know if it will have an amazing final set piece like those books had. still though, great stuff.

thoughts?

Read Parrot and Olivier for our bookclub earlier this year. Excellent. Definitely right up there with Oscar and Lucinda. The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (also read for bookclub) has been put against it by many, as a new more authentic Australian voice to supercede Carey, well if that is the case, then I despair. Absolute sensational dross, without an ounce of the skill or humour of Carey.

My main criticism of Parrot & Olivier so far is that it uses the same tricks and story lines that made his earlier books so great. when its as good as this thats a fairly minor complaint though.

I read Bliss when I was about 18. It was good if a bit..... hateful or something

I'm told it's his worst though...

yeah, Bliss wasnt great at all. It was one of his first efforts though, he became amazing after that. His Illegal Self reminded me a bit of Bliss, I wouldn't go for that one next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back