Personal finances and budgeting (1 Viewer)

Are the mounting points etc standardised, I wonder? Obviously a lot of the disruption and cost is wiring the system in, but if it was a case of say in five or ten years, being able to swap panels or batteries without much fuss, that'd make it more scalable.

Are the mounting points etc standardised, I wonder? Obviously a lot of the disruption and cost is wiring the system in, but if it was a case of say in five or ten years, being able to swap panels or batteries without much fuss, that'd make it more scalable.
there is no fuss. They come with a 12 year guarantee and are expected to last for 25 years with no more than a 20% loss in efficiency in that time.

there is no fuss. They come with a 12 year guarantee and are expected to last for 25 years with no more than a 20% loss in efficiency in that time.
it wasn't so much the longevity i was thinking of - it was that in five years time, say, or ten years, the technology might have moved on enough that it'd make sense to upgrade them with the newer versions, even if they were still working.

it wasn't so much the longevity i was thinking of - it was that in five years time, say, or ten years, the technology might have moved on enough that it'd make sense to upgrade them with the newer versions, even if they were still working.
There’s already water cooled PV panels about to hit the market that are like a hybrid PV/solar water heater system. The water dissipates excess heat, making the PV panel more efficient, and you can then use the heated water. MAGIC.

Chatted with a rewable energy installation company yesterday eve. Getting them out the next fortnight for a site survey

Possibly heat pump of
some description (might go geothermal as we have the room) for central heating instead of using kerosene.

Solar pv panels and batteries to offset the cost of running heat pump and maybe charge a car

Solar thermodynamic panel(s) for our hot water / showers (elec shower delete)

Probably cost us a bomb

a friend got a phone as part of a mobile contract and basically never paid the monthly bills and owes over a grand.
the person still has the phone but has no savings and is on disability benefit and there is almost no chance of the bill being paid off - so credit history is not an issue.

legally what are the consequences for them?

I have a 40 Euro phone that I top up and wouldn't go near this type of contract. so I'm no help.
I told them to seek out advice and they haven't (standard behaviour from them).

This was mentioned in the Irish times on Saturday; didn't say whether you can feed human waste into it. Looks like the only use you can really put the gas to is for cooking; if there had been some way of using it for heating the house it'd be more versatile.

How long you reckon it will take to make that back in savings? 10 years? Just wondering like.
I'd say so, yeah. My electricity consumption is low and I'm getting the panels more for just financial reasons. Its a long-term thing, but also, I wanna do my bit for the planet and that.

I'm away a fair bit. Anything we leave connected while we're away will likely be powered by solar. So I'd say there could be several months where we have bills of zero euro (on top of connection).

There’s already water cooled PV panels about to hit the market that are like a hybrid PV/solar water heater system. The water dissipates excess heat, making the PV panel more efficient, and you can then use the heated water. MAGIC.
To hit the market soon, as in worth holding out for? Any links or hints on search terms?

To hit the market soon, as in worth holding out for? Any links or hints on search terms?
Ok maybe not “soon” or even “about to”. This isn’t where I heard about (can’t remember where) them but covers the idea I think.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok maybe not “soon” or even “about to”. This isn’t where I heard about (can’t remember where) them but covers the idea I think.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good stuff

Any video that opens with "throughout the course of human civilisation...." ... I'm pausing and making a cup of tea for

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back