People Who Died (8 Viewers)

pro-cyclist David Rebellin was killed by a truck-driver while out training in Italy today.

Rebellin is famous for being 51 and still competing as a pro even up to this year. Dodgy as can be for sure, but now dead as can be.

RIP

pro-cyclist David Rebellin was killed by a truck-driver while out training in Italy today.

Rebellin is famous for being 51 and still competing as a pro even up to this year. Dodgy as can be for sure, but now dead as can be.

RIP
Rebellin only just retired... aged 51, although he was riding at Ras sort of level for years.

Rebellin (b.1971) turned pro after the 1992 Olympics at the same time as Marco Pantani, Michele Bartoli, Francesco Casagrande and 1992 men of the Ras Guiseppe Guerini, Wladimir Belli and Fagnini (Cipollini and Zabel lead out man).

Cycling was (particularly in Italy) under dark shadow of Prof. Conconi and his students Dr. Michele Ferrari and Dr. Luigi Cecchini.

The class of 1992 flourished and Rebellin was initially seen as a grand tour rider. After finishing in the 1996 top 10 on the Giro and Vuelta, he moved to France in 1997 with the new FDJ team.
An awful Tour in 1997 was immediately compensated with his first classic wins in August at San Sebastian and Zurich.
However he became known over the next 6 years as a guy who was always in the top 10 in the World rankings and often on the podium in classics without winning many races (or any classics).
A nearly man but a very consistent one.
Rebellin also sometimes played in big role of the first half of Giro before fading completely or abandoning.
In 2004 Rebellin (known as Tintin due to his haircut) luck turned: He pulled off a spectacular Ardennes treble of the classics - Fleche, Liege and Amstel. (Might have been the rider to do it???)
There were several more classics and a bronze at the Olympic road race in Beijing.
Then the shit hit the fan. He was caught taking Micera a new generation of EPO synthetic blood product which had a longer half life. It was thought to be undetectable at the time but a test was quietly developed and no one knew until riders started getting nailed.
Tintin lost his Olympic medal and although he raced until recently and continued to win, Rebellin only raced for small teams after his ban.

Off the bike Davide was a religious man who considered joining the church as a youngster. I never quite figured him out.
Very sorry to hear he's gone at such a young age. Always terrible to hear someone has lost their life on their bike.

Rebellin also sometimes played in big role of the first half of Giro before fading completely or abandoning.
In 2004 Rebellin (known as Tintin due to his haircut) luck turned: He pulled off a spectacular Ardennes treble of the classics - Fleche, Liege and Amstel. (Might have been the rider to do it???)
I'd guess that Philip Gilbert did it too, but wouldn't be certain he won Amstel

Steve Castiron Smith from Red Alert

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd guess that Philip Gilbert did it too, but wouldn't be certain he won Amstel
yeah, Phil Gilbert did the treble in 2011 - the only time he won in Liege.
I had meant Rebellin was the first to win the Ardennes treble in a year but typical me left ''first'' out the sentence!
also another error I made: Davide Rebellin won sliver in Beijing (not bronze) which was rescinded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back