People Who Died (9 Viewers)

Shite news. Currently on the 3rd book of the Wolf Hall trilogy, goddammit she was an amazing writer
Haven't read Wolf Hall but read Beyond Black many, many years ago and it's stuck with me for years. Grim, miserable, stuff but so brilliant; just made me feel ill, in fact it was so effective it swore me off her for a decade.

Fukkity Fuk RIP Pharoah Sanders. I always thought it was amazing that we still had him, a real living breathing link back to Coltrane and beyond, still making music that is essential and speaks to the Gods in some language that we seem to have lost...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Haven't read Wolf Hall but read Beyond Black many, many years ago and it's stuck with me for years. Grim, miserable, stuff but so brilliant; just made me feel ill, in fact it was so effective it swore me off her for a decade.
I definitely recommend reading the trilogy, so so good- although I do know some people who never got into the swing of it. I love this quote from a lecture she gave about history/fact/fiction

Evidence is always partial. Facts are not truth, though they are part of it – information is not knowledge. And history is not the past – it is the method we have evolved of organising our ignorance of the past. It’s the record of what’s left on the record. It’s the plan of the positions taken, when we to stop the dance to note them down. It’s what’s left in the sieve when the centuries have run through it – a few stones, scraps of writing, scraps of cloth. It is no more “the past” than a birth certificate is a birth, or a script is a performance, or a map is a journey. It is the multiplication of the evidence of fallible and biased witnesses, combined with incomplete accounts of actions not fully understood by the people who performed them. It’s no more than the best we can do, and often it falls short of that.

Joe Bussard, record collector from the states. There was a great doc made about him years ago. The wall of 78s is a sight to behold. Must watch the doc again, name of it escapes me at the moment. The look on his face when the music starts here is great, still loving every bit of it

…..Trailer for doc mentioned in previous post

…..Trailer for doc mentioned in previous post

Am tempted to re-catalog my record collection under "Good records A-Z" and "Bad records A-Z"

Am tempted to re-catalog my record collection under "Good records A-Z" and "Bad records A-Z"

Alphabetical not the way to do it

In his basement redoubt, Bussard walks over to his wall of records to make another selection. The records are all in identical faded green sleeves with no marking to differentiate them. They are not ordered alphabetically or by year or by label. Only he knows the system.

Legendary illustrator Kim Jung Gi

Users who are viewing this thread

• sleepy
  • Bladez
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back