People Who Died (4 Viewers)

christ dude that's rough, sorry to hear it
thanks. it's not as bad as it sounds. obviously losing my dad was a big deal, but i was not affected badly by the other deaths. my dad was sick for a very long time - i don't think the pandemic made a huge difference there, time-wise.

the point is that perhaps we're more conscious of the number around us because we're sitting around with too much time on our hands to think about everything - for almost a year already.

Shit man, that's a lot to have to take on. I'm really sorry to hear it.
thanks

it's been nearly a year. i've lost my father, my uncle, a neighbour, my brother in law's mother, and the mother of a friend during this time. none of them had covid. but it could be that circumstances added to their stress and didn't help things. could also be that that's a normal amount of people to die in a year.
Sorry to hear that, that’s a lot to process.

it's been nearly a year. i've lost my father, my uncle, a neighbour, my brother in law's mother, and the mother of a friend during this time. none of them had covid. but it could be that circumstances added to their stress and didn't help things. could also be that that's a normal amount of people to die in a year.
Sorry to hear this.

this struck a chord with me - one my friends got very ill last summer and their GP just seemed to ignore what was happening for months.

Mauro Bellugi (1950 - 20 February 2021)
Italian footballer who won 32 caps for Italy (inc. playing five games in Italy's run to fourth place 1978 World Cup) playing as a central defender / stopper.
At club level Bellugi started at Inter, winning Serie A in 1970-71 and losing the 1972 European Cup Final to Ajax.
He later played for Bologna 1974-79 and Napoli 79-80 and finished his career back in his native Tuscany
with Pistoiese in 1981.

Last November Mauro was admitted to hospital with Covid 19 and suffering a pre-existing blood Anemia condition when his health deteriorated to point where doctors had to amputate both of his legs.

I'm not posting links because this led to some very click bait headlines on Bellugi's health.

Zlatko Kranjcar (1956 - 1 March 2021)
Croatian footballer and manager died after apparently suddenly taking ill last month.

Zlatko had a successful career as a forward winning a string of trophies, firstly with Dinamo Zagreb inc.
Yugoslavian Championship in 1982 and two Cups.
Then in 1983 fellow Croat Otto Baric (who died last December from Covid) brought him to Rapid Vienna
where he won two more League titles and three Cups.
Surprisingly Rapid featuring Kranjcar, Krankl and Pacult up front, Antonin Panenka and future Roma 'keeper
Michael Konsel reached the 1985 Cup Winners Cup Final losing 3-1 to probably Everton's greatest team.
Kranjcar retired in 1990. He won 11 caps (3 goals) for Yugoslavia.

After beginning his coach career in Austria, Kranjcar won three Championships in Croatia with Dinamo (2)
and one with NK Zagreb.
Kranjcar took Croatia to the 2006 World Cup where they were eliminated after two draws and a 1-0 defeat
to Brazil, leading to his leaving the position.
There is long tradition of Yugoslavian coaches being sought after and traveling widely and Kranjcar also
coached in Slovenia, Slovakia, Montenegro, Qatar, UAE and spent years in Iran where he won another
League title and most recently coached their U23 team in 2019.

Zlatko's son Niko (b. 1984) was also a footballer playing for him at the 2006 World Cup. Niko spent much
of his career in the English Premier League.

Last edited:
Ian St John (1938 - 1 March 2021)

The Saint's goal scoring partnership with Roger Hunt set the whole Liverpool bandwagon
on the road in the mid 60's.
Arriving from Motherwell in 1961 his transfer helped establish a formula Liverpool used
'time after time' : sign talented young players from small clubs and help them become some
of the best players in England in a successful team.
Taking the club from the Second Division to 1961- 62 to two League titles in 63-64 or 65-66.
Ian famously headed the winning goal in Liverpool's first FA Cup Final win over Leeds in 1965.
Prior to 1965 Liverpool's FA Cup record was a bit of a joke.
While Liverpool remained as contenders in the late 60's, after 1966 LFC failed to win anything
until 1973, two years after St John departed.

In 1971 both Hunt and St John played briefly in South Africa. This seems like very poor
judgement but at the time it was very common for players nearing retirement to head there.
Even George Best played there in 1974.

Ian won 21 caps and scored 9 goals for Scotland. Scotland had 4 or 5 good players for nearly
every position and even great players like MacKay or McNeill didn't get to 30 caps.

St John's last coaching position was as Jack Charlton assistant at Wednesday before moving
into broadcasting in 1979.

in 1985 (the year I got interested in football) The Saint was partnered with Jimmy Greaves for
the Saturday ITV show Saint and Greavsie a more fun rival to the more staid Football Focus.
The Saint was the professional straight man to Greavsie's highly opinionated, blokeish humor.
After Sky came on the football scene in 1992 they were both increasingly sidelined from TV.

The last time I saw Ian was on the Jimmy Greaves documentary a couple of years ago.
Age was catching up with him but I didn't think he would be gone before Jimmy.

Ian St John (1938 - 1 March 2021)

The Saint's goal scoring partnership with Roger Hunt set the whole Liverpool bandwagon
on the road in the mid 60's.
Arriving from Motherwell in 1961 his transfer helped establish a formula Liverpool used
'time after time' : sign talented young players from small clubs and help them become some
of the best players in England in a successful team.
Taking the club from the Second Division to 1961- 62 to two League titles in 63-64 or 65-66.
Ian famously headed the winning goal in Liverpool's first FA Cup Final win over Leeds in 1965.
Prior to 1965 Liverpool's FA Cup record was a bit of a joke.
While Liverpool remained as contenders in the late 60's, after 1966 LFC failed to win anything
until 1973, two years after St John departed.

In 1971 both Hunt and St John played briefly in South Africa. This seems like very poor
judgement but at the time it was very common for players nearing retirement to head there.
Even George Best played there in 1974.

Ian won 21 caps and scored 9 goals for Scotland. Scotland had 4 or 5 good players for nearly
every position and even great players like MacKay or McNeill didn't get to 30 caps.

St John's last coaching position was as Jack Charlton assistant at Wednesday before moving
into broadcasting in 1979.

in 1985 (the year I got interested in football) The Saint was partnered with Jimmy Greaves for
the Saturday ITV show Saint and Greavsie a more fun rival to the more staid Football Focus.
The Saint was the professional straight man to Greavsie's highly opinionated, blokeish humor.
After Sky came on the football scene in 1992 they were both increasingly sidelined from TV.

The last time I saw Ian was on the Jimmy Greaves documentary a couple of years ago.
Age was catching up with him but I didn't think he would be gone before Jimmy.
Is Jimmy Greaves still alive? I thought he croaked it a few years back

RIP Russi Taylor.
Voice of Minnie Mouse and all these Simpson’s characters: Martin Prince / Sherri / Terri / Uter / Wendell / Additional Voices / Martin / Various / Others / Lewis / Üter Zörker / Sushi / Sisters / Students / Orphan / Various Students / Mount Holyoke Sister / Vassar Sister / Mother in Baby-So-Fresh Commercial / Ewa / Stenographer / Gummy Sue / Mrs. Prince / Ron Howard's Son / Kids / Billy / Beezee / Craig's Girlfriend / Dr. Hibbert's Daughter / Quimby's Mistress / Loni Anderson / Fish / Son / Wendell Borton / Woman in Club / Girls / Woman on Parole Board / Nun / Phone Voice / Shirley Temple / Spirit #6 / Chuck / Singing Kid in Commercial / Janey Powell / Ronnie Beck / Adrian / Mother / Inanimate Carbon Rod #1 / Mrs. Winfield / Sidney Swift / Ian (194 episodes, 1990-2019)

images

RIP Russi Taylor.
Voice of Minnie Mouse and all these Simpson’s characters: Martin Prince / Sherri / Terri / Uter / Wendell / Additional Voices / Martin / Various / Others / Lewis / Üter Zörker / Sushi / Sisters / Students / Orphan / Various Students / Mount Holyoke Sister / Vassar Sister / Mother in Baby-So-Fresh Commercial / Ewa / Stenographer / Gummy Sue / Mrs. Prince / Ron Howard's Son / Kids / Billy / Beezee / Craig's Girlfriend / Dr. Hibbert's Daughter / Quimby's Mistress / Loni Anderson / Fish / Son / Wendell Borton / Woman in Club / Girls / Woman on Parole Board / Nun / Phone Voice / Shirley Temple / Spirit #6 / Chuck / Singing Kid in Commercial / Janey Powell / Ronnie Beck / Adrian / Mother / Inanimate Carbon Rod #1 / Mrs. Winfield / Sidney Swift / Ian (194 episodes, 1990-2019)

images
Turns out she died in 2019. Just found an old Facebook post of mine confirming that.

Ian North

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

• pete
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back