People Who Died (10 Viewers)

Last edited:
Colin Bell (1946 - 5 February 2021)

Manchester City and England footballer who was until the last ten years City's greatest
player and the main stand at Man City's ground is named after him.

Bell was one the best attacking midfielders of his generation and took over Bobby
Charlton's role in the England team winning 48 caps.
When he joined Man City from Bury, they were in the Second Division but during his time
at Maine Road they became unlikely English Championsin 1968, then FA Cup winners 1969,
European Cup Winners Cup and League Cup winners in 1970.
There was also a near miss at another League title in 1972.
Bell scored 152 goals in his 13 years at the club but a bad injury suffered in the Manchester
derby in 1975-76 season all but ended his career - despite being only 29 he played little
after that and was never the same player.

Colin was a humble man who when promoting his autobiography had to tell his agent
he didn't do radio interviews due to his shyness. A son of Colin's was a doctor and a
colleague of his, having read Colin's book urged him to get screened for bowel cancer
which had taken Colin's mother when he was a young child. After cancer was diagnosed
quick intervention meant Colin made a full recovery.

A photo of Colin Bell playing for Man City is featured on the front of the first Oasis LP.

Colin Bell obituary - remembering a true Man City legend
(Manchester Evening News. nice tribute - well worth reading)
Awful to see yet another brilliant footballer gone.

'One of the greatest': Manchester City legend Colin Bell dies at the age of 74
(Guardian)

Colin Bell wasn't a superstar. He just happened to be a brilliant footballer | Simon Hattenstone

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

I remember looking him up a while back having not seen him in years. He was unrecognisable. Destroyed by drug addiction.

RIP

I remember looking him up a while back having not seen him in years. He was unrecognisable. Destroyed by drug addiction.

RIP

I'd bet there's been an increase of ODs and addiction since the pandemic. I was sort of friends with a lad who OD'd a couple of months back, I'd say it's rife these days.

RIP
that entire britrock scene was really torn apart by serious drug use. Danny from the Wildhearts had half his leg amputated a few years back!

Users who are viewing this thread

• sleepy
  • Bladez
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back