People Who Died (9 Viewers)

I read a thing recently that Armenians in Turkey around the time of WWI had a similar status to Jews in Europe - i.e. a fairly prosperous merchant class. Clearly not a good position to be in during a surge in ethnically-based nationalism

Me too. @flashback ... dude, please remember simple country boys like me are reading your posts, and trying to understand them
I would say that Fisk was not antisemitic. Neither is Finkelstein, Chomsky, nor Mary Robinson FFS.

I think allegations of antisemitism coming out of groups, often in the US, is worse than a blunt tool used to shut people up who criticize Israel. The fact that virtually any criticism of Israel, or recently any defense of Palestine, results in this reflexive allegations hides the fact that actual antisemitism exists.

If you call everyone you disagree with antisemitic, if you use the term as a political tool to silence people, you shield people who actually are antisemitic, because the term is used to the point it's meaningless.

Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor

That's the one that causes problems isn't it?

Problems for Jeremy Corbyn mostly.

Anyway, here's Jewish Cartoonist Eli Valley on antisemitism in the USA

LweU38Hg.jpg

@prefuse you'd enjoy his Trump cartoons

Strangely topical this video features among many intersting thing s..John Sessions imitating Sean Connery ..and a hilarious Spike Milligan

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read a thing recently that Armenians in Turkey around the time of WWI had a similar status to Jews in Europe - i.e. a fairly prosperous merchant class. Clearly not a good position to be in during a surge in ethnically-based nationalism

Yeah a lot of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire at the start of the 20th century had very middle class positions. Easy targets, basically.

Alex Trebek

since it's hasn't been mentioned here:

Ken Hensley (24 August 1945 - 4 November 2020)
Played keyboards for Uriah Heep throughout 1970's.

Great tune - of course keyboards are heavy metal.

This feels a little close to hone as half my family are from Tyrone and knew him quite well.

My mother met Brian on the street years ago. He insisted she and her friend came back to his flat to hear a great new record he just got. It was a recording of motorcycle sounds! He loved bikes apparently.

Carlos Campos.

Carlos Campos - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Chilean footballer who was a prolific goalscorer and played
in his countries run to the 1962 World Cup Semi on home soil.

Tony Waiters

Tony Waiters - Wikipedia

Blackpool and England goalkeeper (5 caps, all in 1964) who later managed Vancouver
to 1979 NASL Soccer Bowl and took Canada to 1986 World Cup Finals.

Dino Da Costa

Dino da Costa - Wikipedia

Brazilian striker who played for Roma, Fiorentina and Juventus.
Da Costa only cap came for Italy in the famous 1958 2-1 defeat to Northern Ireland
he scored in the defeat which cost Italy a place at the '58 World Cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back