People Who Died (7 Viewers)

I’m going to put my head above the parapet here and it’ll be probably be an unpopular opinion, and i apologise to anyone that may have known him personally;
I thought he was massively condescending. Always Found him to be entirely disingenuous and I’ve never warmed to anything he’s done, ever.
I’m a Marty Whelan man at the core
Solidarity, bro.

On paper I appreciate Gay Byrne’s achievements but couldn’t get past the patronising/smug exterior.

Apparently Gay Byrne's dad insulted my grandfather back in the day by asking if he was going to join the Brits to fight in WW2.

I’m going to put my head above the parapet here and it’ll be probably be an unpopular opinion, and i apologise to anyone that may have known him personally;
I thought he was massively condescending. Always Found him to be entirely disingenuous and I’ve never warmed to anything he’s done, ever.
I’m a Marty Whelan man at the core
Marty's a star

Did the old man a solid back in the day when he was an insurance man
Pure salt of the earth

someone i work with tells a story about a neighbour of gay byrne's being neighbourly and inviting gay byrne to a party and gay byrne turning up and being gay byrne and then getting an invoice from gay byrne for gay byrne's appearance fee in the post a couple of weeks later.

no idea if it's true or not but it's a good gay byrne story.

someone i work with tells a story about a neighbour of gay byrne's being neighbourly and inviting gay byrne to a party and gay byrne turning up and being gay byrne and then getting an invoice from gay byrne for gay byrne's appearance fee in the post a couple of weeks later.

Confirmed by uncle travelling Matt

Gay was a product of his time. Basically the first year of RTE existing he was on the flagship show with a semi blank canvas to work with. It couldn't really happen now but someone like Joe Rogan would be a modern equivalent, Or that lady from Kerry on twitter. A driver for the modern medium. At a certain point we moved to 4 channel television and uk television and the position he occupied became more sentimental than exploratory, essentially becoming some kind of human angelus bell. I never warmed to him and the parents didn't really bother us with it but its pretty deep in the national synapses. By the time we were all growing up he was for old people and deeply institutionalised. The clip with the lady above I found very moving and only I guess someone in his position could have handled that, though the poem was just lovely all considered. My sisters were texting me about all the women he was a dick to and I've no way of knowing if that was him taking the devils avacado or he was actually being himself, it is a job at the end of the day.

I heard that story too, but tbh it smells like an urban myth

Anyways, when someone famous dies and a normal people is sad about it, they're not really sad for the famous person, they're sad for themselves. They're mourning the passing of their youth when the famous person was significant, and fearful of the approach of their own death

I just wanted to hear the radio jingle again. Reminded me of me granny.

oh, it's a hoary old one, i've heard it many times down the years.
It's not a myth.

I'm Gay Byrne, and I sent that cunt an appearance fee because he told everyone I'd be there and made them pay a fiver into his gaff. Then he wouldn't let me touch any of the beer in his fridge.

"That's for the guests Gaybo".

"Ah here" I said. Sober as a bastard. Not even a glass of wine like. Started plotting right away I did, send the cunt a bill wha? Genius.

I'm not dead though. I'm grand. Took the Harley out for a shpin last night. Up to the Blue Light for a couple of pints. Fooking blew past some Gards on the way back and all.

Andre Zimmermann (20/2/1939- 5/11/2019)
French cyclist.
Hailing from Alsace, Zimmermann won the 1963 Tour de
L'Avenir and turned pro with the mighty St. Raphael squad
led by Jacques Anquetil.
In his debut grand Tour he finished 12th in the 1964 Giro
helping Anquetil to victory and then also complete the
double with Jacques fifth and final Tour victory.
1964 was also the final Tour for their team mate Shay Elliot.

Zimmermann then rode for Peugeot (1965-68) with Simpson,
Pingeon and a very young Merckx.
he finished his career in 1969 at Sonolor as a domestique of
Lucien van Impe who turned pro in June '69 a few days before
his Tour debut and finished 12th overall.
Zimmermann was 26th in his fifth and last Tour.
André Zimmermann - Wikipedia

very sad to hear about Poulidor - only just found out.

surely the most popular French cyclist ever he finished 2nd in the
Tour de France 3 times and 3rd 5 times in his 14 starts (also a record at the time).
his poor farming origins in Limousin made him a popular cultural icon for hardcore
cycling people in France who were mostly boggers like he was.

in his final Tour in 1976 he got on the podium by a few seconds after a strong ride
in the final TT aged 40.

despite being nicknamed 'The Eternal Second' he had a great palmares inc. -
the 1964 Vuelta, San Remo, Fleche Wallonne, Paris- Nice x2, Dauphine x2,
Criterium International x5 and 7 Tour stages.
he was at his greatest in the mountains but was also a great TT rider.

his name will be forever linked with Anquetil with whom he had a rivalry has echoes
the Bartali / Coppi of a generation earlier.
who you prefered said things about who you yourself were.
as the underdog he was by far more popular than the aloof, calculating Anquetil.
his career also spanned the Merckx years.

he popularity remained after he retired and Raymond has heavily in demand
for media work inc punditry and many adverts and PR work at the Tour.

Raymond's daughter Corinne married Dutch 80's classics star and cyclocross
great Adri van der Poel and their son is 2019 Amstel Gold winner (among many other wins)
is Mathieu van der Poel.
the three generations were featured in a memorable bike advert which the
side of me which makes me type these things loved.

i knew Poulidor was getting old but i didn't expected this.
apparently he has been in hospital for two months with heart problems.

stay tuned i'll find some good links of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back