People Who Died (8 Viewers)

Haha!!! I never liked rave music because I thought it was shit,nothing to do with people.
Funnily enough,I always thought alice in chains were shit too.

This is the stuff I find COMPLETELY fascinating. With all types of music, you'll find people who absolutely hate it. This very often has not too much to do with the actual music and so much to do with everything that was happening around it. people who went off grunge after nirvana, people here who are off rave by association, people who hate country and Irish, metal, pop etc etc. Like its impossible by the sheer nature of music to disassociate things completely because of how it hits the brain and where it goes when it is in there, but still, amazing that something that essentially is almost identical (heavy beats, distorted melodies and chords, shouting men) can cause such polarization. there is really fuck all between them, fuck all. If it makes you angry you need to address your teens, not use a genre for a crutch like.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"This very often has not too much to do with the actual music and so much to do with everything that was happening around it."

This is spot on. I still hate that thump thump banging techno & that rave shit because I associate it with Dublin gougers, with their sovereign rings, little ronnie moustaches, kickers jeans, all look like they descend from the same ape. You know the type.

That stereotype is over 25 years old.

I quite like Julie Birchill's* idea (circa about 1980) that there are only two good kinds of popular music: Punk Rock and Motown - once you get beyond that you end up being a bore talking about the "rich tapestry of rock."

Obviously it's silly but half the fun of being a music fan is pushing silly stances to their extreme imho

*listen, I know about all the beyond problematic stances she has held, including but not limited to hating Irish people

Haha!!! I never liked rave music because I thought it was shit,nothing to do with people.
Funnily enough,I always thought alice in chains were shit too.

those two were awful examples, i'm a bit rushed this mornign.

I really should have posted this because it was literally a nirvana sample. Like actually the same god damn music.

What kind of music do you hate @ann post ?

That's a tough one, because I've been into thinking about this for at least a decade so I have a lot of 'listen without association' going on. I'm more likely to dislike the ethics behind music now. The generic acoustic noodling that comes free with youtube that soundtracks thousands of videos, that annoys me because of what it is. I still watch the videos. I dislike some avant gard stuff when it comes from a place of non communication and is more an academic exploration. Electronic music with no dissonance i think might be potentially unhealthy, but there is very little that'll make me knee jerk these days.

Do teenagers still have the tribal mentality when it comes to music?
Yeah but we have to watch the schoolyard fights happen on twitter 😭

I think their tastes have gone the same way of adults (because of Spotify): very genre broad but mostly quite genre shallow as a result. The attention economy vs. the lack of anything to do we had.

Yeah but we have to watch the schoolyard fights happen on twitter 😭

I think their tastes have gone the same way of adults (because of Spotify): very genre broad but mostly quite genre shallow as a result. The attention economy vs. the lack of anything to do we had.

Our latest crew have the semblance of a generation raised on time life compilations. It's crazy.

I associate that time with lots of people I knew fucking themselves up on drugs and it was largely due to the scene that was created around the music of the time. The Prodigy were an integral part of that. And underworld. And maybe it's by association rather than their actual music, but I despised everything about that scene (including the bands) back then.

Apart from Maniac 2000. That was great.

I only heard maniac 2000 for the first time ever about 18 months ago.

Sad to hear about Woody. Did a FAS course with him yonks ago in Jervis St. 2005, I think. Some priceless antics out of him - always good for something unpredictable. You couldn't make him up. I can't remember if he could use a computer, but he was always moving, like some digitalised form. I remember his head coming in up over the transom?, Well the upper window from outside, and the guy running the course was talking about something, and everyone just starts bursting their wholes laughing because you could John's head popping up and down in the outside window. I think he was balancing himself on the edge of a skip! Priceless!

RIP John.

And also Luke Perry - great comeback in Oz out of nowhere. And John From Cincinnati.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back