People Who Died (8 Viewers)

awful news about Marvellous Marvin. I am not really a boxing fan but as a kid Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran were Mayweather/Pacquiao famous.

I've watched The War fight with Tommy Hearns at least 50 times - the biggest and best fight of 1985.
only knocked down once in his entire career and totally unknockoutable, Marvin's chin was famous for being able to take anything thrown at it.
Marvin lost three fights - one early one I don't know about, but his defeat in his first title match in 1979 was a shocking injustice and the decision going to Sugar Ray Leonard in Marvin's final fight is still one of the most disputed decisions in boxing history - which often causes arguments even 34 years later.
Marvin was middle weight World Champ in the years between Ali and Tyson (78-86 era) when the heavy weight division was in the wilderness.
and of course he looked way cool with his bald head which was rare then.

another part of my childhood gone...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I remember them - 90's emo.

I had an idea years ago for a thread on bands named after people. particularly it was a big trend in 90's punk.
I especially liked bands named after musicians:

there was a hardcore band from circa the early 2000's who did demos under the name ROB HALFORD.
A fast hardcore band from Moscow called GEORGE HARRISON (after he died).
a breakcore artist called DONNA SUMMER (when she was still alive!)
also a female noise artist from Texas called KEVIN SHIELDS.

I remember them - 90's emo.

I had an idea years ago for a thread on bands named after people. particularly it was a big trend in 90's punk.
I especially liked bands named after musicians:

there was a hardcore band from circa the early 2000's who did demos under the name ROB HALFORD.
A fast hardcore band from Moscow called GEORGE HARRISON (after he died).
a breakcore artist called DONNA SUMMER (when she was still alive!)
also a female noise artist from Texas called KEVIN SHIELDS.
Make it happen

Peter Lorimer (1946-2021)
Leeds and Scotland footballer died in a hospice last night.
after the deaths of Norman Hunter, Jack Charlton, Trevor Cherry, Leeds have another of their greatest footballers.
Peter remains Leeds all time top scorer with a total of 238 goals as an attacking midfielder.
he also played for Scotland in the 1974 World Cup scoring in their first ever Finals win over Zaire.
Lormier's dubiously disallowed goal against Bayern Munich in the 1975 European Cup Final (@ 0-0)
is well remembered in the last big match of Leeds era (1964-1975).

a 90's pop punk group from Leeds called LORIMER recorded a Peel session.

'A spectacular symbol of a golden era at Leeds' (excellent BBC website tribute to a great player)

Video of some Lorimer's best moments for Leeds:
inc. Euro Cup Semi goal at Camp Nou, the Bayern 'goal' and a Yeboah style humdinger.

Eddie Gray, Lorimer's former room mate of 12 years and later his manager and fellow Scot
had this to say on Football Focus today:

in closing moments of the 1967 FA Cup semi v Chelsea at Villa Park Leeds were awarded
a free kick which Giles passed to Lorimer who in typical style smashed the ball into
the top corner to level the match.
not for the last time the ref came up with a flimsy reason to disallow a Leeds goal.
classic commentary by Kenneth Wolstenholme:

Legendary WWF jobber, Barry O

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back