People Who Died (12 Viewers)

Tommy Docherty (1928 - 31 December 2020)
Scottish footballer and manager died aged 92 - nearly 60 years after he first managed
at Chelsea in 1961. Tommy also managed, among many others - Scotland, Villa, Porto
and Man Utd, where his team stopped Liverpool doing a treble in the 1977 FA Cup Final.

anyone called Doherty was mistakenly called 'Docherty' by the British sports media due
to popularity of 'The Doc'.

https://www.the42.ie/tommy-docherty-dies-aged-92-53138

Former Manchester United and Scotland manager Tommy Docherty dead

both above tributes are very well written and worth reading.

also Mike Sutton (1944 - 26 December 2020)
footballer and father of Chris and John (another son ironically is a neurologist).

Chris spoke about Mike's condition and it's affect on their family in November

Chris Sutton opens up on his ex-footballer Dad's dementia battle

I remember when they put in the seat at Birmingham's St Andrew's ground for Barry.
best seat in the house for their biggest fan.

Gerry was a huge L.F.C. fan. He was extremely proud his record was the Reds anthem.
As John Aldridge said when asked who was the best band from Liverpool: THE BEATLES or THE BUNNYMEN ? ''GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS''.

Roger Hassenforder (1930 - 3 January 2021)
Alsatian cyclist Hassenforder won 8 stages of the Tour de France in mid to late 50's but only finished one of his six Tours.
He also wore the Malliot Juane in his first Tour in 1953 and won a stage of his sole Vuelta which he also DNF.
Apart from his successes at the Tour he won the Criterium International three times.

Hassenforder was very popular with the public and known as a prankster. Apparently in one race he attacked and then hid while the peloton passed and rejoined the back of the peloton who were still chasing him.
Late Eurosport commentator David Duffield had a story he used to tell about the time Hassenforder raced at the Manx International:
Having abandoned the race Roger was recognised by a fan who asked for his autograph. As Hassenforder walked away the fan asked a young Duffield who the rider was. Duffers confirmed it was Hassenforder.
The guy showed him the autograph Hassenforder had signed: ''John Smith''.

Sorry, I don't know how to make links on this computer but a part of that long gone era of cycling has died with Roger who was a Tour cult legend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back