Pedal power (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
I have ongoing issues with my chain of pedals and wonder if how I'm powering them might be a contributing factor.
Using a boss TU2 tuner to power them using a daisy chain, how many pedals is too many?

Should I consider a multi pedal power supply?
Any suggestions or recommendations?

You'll have to get a paper and pencil out and find out how much current each pedal you are using needs. Here's a good list
The Power List | stinkfoot.se

And check the total against whatever your power supply says it can cope with. I think the regular Boss power supplies can handle 500mA.

That would be step one in the never ending road of what can go wrong with pedals.

What kind of issues are you having?

What am i , a scientist?

But seriously, thanks for that. It didn't occur to me to add up the pedals etc

I guess it'll be marked on the casing.

I have a lot to learn

I've had the purple thomann supply about 4 years now with no issues doing a ton of rehearsals and about 20 gigs a year. I've built it into a pedal board though so only the power cable ever gets plugged in or out.

Ok, lost now.
"..it isn’t as easy as just counting the number of pedals you’re going to power – whenever a manufacturer claims that their adapters can power up to so-and-so many pedals, it’s only an average figure. In reality, one digital delay will use as much power as 8 or 9 overdrive pedals."

How can I calculate how much power I need and figure out how to provide it?
How to power your pedals (simple version) | stinkfoot.se

What pedals are you using and what power supply are you using?

I've had up to 14 pedals running off a single supply and daisychains no hassle so don't go spending money til you figure out what the problem is.

Based on the suggestions above I took the whole setup apart and put it back together

I thought the boss adaptor might shorting but it seems OK now.
IMG_6354.JPG the pulsar tremolo and reelectiseem be distorted. The echo might need a new battery? Anyway, I had too many pedals, some of them basically doing the same thing I reduced it to this. All seems fine, if a little messy looking. I'll rearrange them another day.

Thing is I have no idea why they weren't working before.
IMG_6357.JPG

The tube screamer is incredibly loud. Hoping that when I turn up my amp in a gig setting I can balance everything out. Shouldn't there be a volume knob on these?

The tube screamer is incredibly loud. Hoping that when I turn up my amp in a gig setting I can balance everything out. Shouldn't there be a volume knob on these?

IT DEPENDS

If you are using the output of the pedal (level) to hit a sweet spot in your amp then no, if you are getting all the tone from the pedal then yes.

I think.

This is from someone who's never used a tube screamer.

Tube Screamer has a volume knob called LEVEL. Then drive is the amount of distortion and tone cuts high end.

I've only ever used the tu2 & daisy chain to power pedals. Not very scphistomacated.

Do you run the reverb through the fx loop johnny?

I was also only using the TU2 and a daisy chain but sometimes weird shit would happen; it would just go dead or some pedals would sound awful.

For now I've stripped everything back until I figure out what the issue is.

I have reverb on my amp but tried adding a pedal too to see if it'd boost it up to "surf" quality. But I've take it out again for now.

You had to go and have some mad looking pedals that no one has ever heard of? Sweet looking rig though.

Here's a pretty good thread on pedal power consumption and how much/how little we should pay attention to the manufacture's instructions. Current Draw on pedals??

But anyway, I've had a look at what have there and what they are supposed to be using

BOSS TU-2 Tuner 55mA
Tube Screamer 7.5mA
Stereo Pulsar 17mA
Brain Seltzer ???
Marshall Reflector 80mA
Holy Stain 100ma
Reel Echo ???

The Brain Seltzer I have literally never heard of. Been googling about tonight, but the pdf manuals on the Nocturne won't open for me. It's a preamp pedal, so I am (totally) guessing, but I am going to assume it is like a dirt pedal and doesn't need that much current. <10mA say.

I could be barking up the wrong tree and maybe it is more like a reverb, which are more power hungry. DON'T KNOW.

Not seeing an awful lot about the Reel Echo either. The official manual thing mentions 300mA, but that seems insane.
http://www.danguitars.com/uploads/DTE_reelecho_instructions.pdf

It looks reasonably similar to a Line 6 Echo Park and that has a maximum draw of 100mA.

IF IT WAS ME, I would probably daisy chain all your regular sized pedals and have separate power supplies for the HolyStain & Reel Echo. Maybe just try one for the HolyStain first and see if putting the Reel Echo in the chain sounds okay.

I bought he Brain Seltzer when I had a bit of cash..way back when. It came highly recommended by a lot of guitarists I like, for getting that Brian Setzer (see what he did there?) sound.

The guy who made them has since gone one to be very successful , he makes amps now too, with all the best players using his gear.

The Nocturne Brain

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back