peak burrito? (1 Viewer)

did we lose a war?
We're calling them cupcakes, it makes sense to call it frosting. When the fairy cake craze hits, it will be icing all over the shop.

Actually, is icing and frosting the same thing? I think of frosting as the whipped/creamy icing used on cupcakes and to add little whirls and trim to larger cakes whereas icing is thicker usually a solid layer (see wedding cake for type specimen).

Google disagrees with you.

Frosting, to me, is like a more sugary buttercream. Icing is sweeter again as it has a low fat content (water and sugar at its most basic and water, sugar and various gums at the fancier end of things). It's like saying bread and cake are the same thing; they're related for sure but they occupy different positions on the same spectrum.

Google disagrees with you.

all hail the hegemony? i disagree with google.

granted, language develops, often in ways one might not approve of, like the encroachment of 'frosting', and it may have developed a more specific meaning, but when i was a kid it was an americanism and, according to the o.e.d., remains so:

Frosting:
3. a. A mixture of sugar (or other sweetener) with water, egg white, butter, or margarine, often coloured or flavoured, used for covering or decorating cakes, biscuits, or pastries; (also) a similar synthetic preparation used for this purpose; = icing n. 1a. Now chiefly N. Amer.
vs.
Icing:
1. a. A mixture of sugar (or other sweetener) with water, egg white, butter, or margarine, often coloured or flavoured, or a synthetic preparation with similar properties, used for covering or decorating cakes, biscuits, or pastries. Also fig. (cf. the icing on the cake at Phrases). Cf. frosting n. 3.

there's royal frosting and royal icing, buttercream frosting and buttercream icing, etc.

anyway, any excuse:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

nah it's not the style of barbers that's the problem it's the sheer number of them i could think of around 10 that have opened in the past year in the city off the top of my head

It's the style too

Three Men and a Dog

It was there where the idea for a collaborative space that bridges the gap between the idea of a classic barbers and a retail space was born.

258s.jpg

Cumberland Street is now a borough it seems.

I've learned this year that I'm happy to pay more for a barber who doesn't talk.

I know a lad who has a barber called Conan.

The day supermacs started doing burritos was the beginning of the end. This is the point where an imported cultural trend reaches the point where a west coast Ireland food chain sees it as a legit investment. Pizza and 'subs' are the last two food groups supermacs absorbed.

There's a burrito place opening in my hometown, it has a population of 5,000 which seems far to small to sustain the want for burritos

image.jpg

Update: the former cupcake shop in the Stephens Green centre is now a "gourmet donut" establishment.

I reckon it all started with Cuisine De France and Deli counters in shops. How long ago is that mid - late 90s? Twenty years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back