Onions (1 Viewer)

mazzyianne

Website
Visit site
I never really liked them.
They are useful for flavour in a tomato-based sause I'll admit, but are they really of much use other than that in today's society?
The big lumps of onion in chinese food... not for me

Do they do more harm than good, what with the making the eyes sting and cry?
They are good for ya if you have a cold, but couldn't garlic do that job even better?

mazzyianne said:
They are useful for flavour in a tomato-based sause I'll admit, but are they really of much use other than that in today's society?

They are good for ya if you have a cold, but couldn't garlic do that job even better?

i like them. the red ones are yum if you cut them in big chunks and roast them.

mazzyianne said:

Onions are bastards, are as 1200 calorie pizzas from fucking aldi, which I have just eaten only to relise that it contained 1200 fucking calories.

I hated onions for years and years. But when i came up to Dublin and had to fend for myself, I found them to be quite useful for almost everything food-based. Red,white, whatever, its all good.

A trick I learned in Dunnes is when you're slicing onions and your eyes start to sting, take a big gulp of water and that'll clear up the aul eyes straightaway. Dunno how it works, but it does.

I however really really really really really really really really really reallly fucking HATE garlic. Its made from satan's snot. So, since I have such vehement garlic-prejudice, I can't really compare it to our friend the onion.

marrianne, last night i cooked a tasty thing with onions that may or may not convert you; fry up some onions in butter (or oil, up to you) and then add in a big splosh of balsamic vinegar. be generous with it, cos it will caramelize and do tasty yummy things to the onions.
meanwhile you've been boiling up some spinach tagliatelle, which you drain and throw in with the onion mess. then as your tossing that shit around, bung in a heap of tomato herb sauce. chuck in sommore balsamic for good measure, and eat that shit.

now, it doesnt look pretty. not alot of the things i cook actually do. but when that shit hits your tastebuds, you wont care.

bon apetit!

Made this yesterday. Very nice indeed.

Veggie Shepherds pie

Chop up one onion and some garlic. Sweat them in olive oil.
Add 500 ml of vegtable stock, a tin of tomatoes, 8 ounces of red lentils, a chopped pepper, a handful of frozen peas and two chopped carrots. Cook on a medium heat, stirring every few minutes, for about half an hour.

Chuck the resulting mush in a casserole dish and top with mashed spuds. Cover with grated cheese and bung it in the oven for about 15 minutes.

Yeah, it is quite nice. I think it is missing *something* though, when I was eating it last night I put salt on it which is a very rare thing for me to do.

Perhaps a spoon of marmite might make a difference next time.

i dont like salt too much, but everytime i make a veggie casserole, i end up putting quite alot in it to give it a kick, and then it tastes really amazing. never thought about using marmite before, but i realy dont like it on toast...perhaps it wouldnt be so bad in a dish though?

Mmmm pickled onions. I have been known to eat entire jars in one sitting.

nlgbbbblth said:
Onions rock.

Onions are essential with:

Burgers
Steak
Toasted sandwiches (make sure they go in raw)

Also picked onions. Great in salads or just eating one by one from a jar.

homemade onion rings in some light batter and served with some garlic mayonnaise = amazing.

onion and tomato salad with balsamic vinegar.

big chunky onions in vegetable curry.

..i'm hungry.

seanc said:
I however really really really really really really really really really reallly fucking HATE garlic. Its made from satan's snot. So, since I have such vehement garlic-prejudice, I can't really compare it to our friend the onion.

wierdo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zebra heart attack said:
homemade onion rings in some light batter and served with some garlic mayonnaise = amazing.

onion and tomato salad with balsamic vinegar.

big chunky onions in vegetable curry.

..i'm hungry.

would you do a load of onion rings at this hour? i was pretty hungry until i remembered the time i mucked off in a friends breakfast roll.

onions are great but i prefer shalotts. they're smaller and pack more zinginess.

Top onion tips:

If you hold a spoon in your mouth when you chop them you won't cry.

If you find raw onion in a salad a bit strong, soad them in lime juice first.

Egyptians worshipped onions (as well as cats).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back