on screen reading (1 Viewer)

i'm not sure, i can't quite make out the details through my painfully blurred vision

(only half joking)

I used a CRT screen years ago and it made absolute shit of my already very poor vision, albeit temporarily. basically by the end of the day everything was blurred; I couldn't focus on anything. changed to a flatscreen and it helped massively. but that was years ago and I assume you're using a flatscreen already. I'd give the same advice as above: sit a good bit further back, and increase your font size accordingly. I guess a larger monitor would be useful in that regard. a newer screen will probably be brighter too, which would help.

oh, and the eye breaks. hard to remember but a very good suggestion.

my optician reccomends me to get some specials lenses at an extra 20 euro which will help when reading off the computer

or maybe they were ripping me off

That lens coating to help against glare is shit. Definitely a quick-buck maker for opticians. Anyone who is getting their eyes tested should say you don't want it. Basically, your glasses will never remain clean. It's a case of constantly cleanig them to be able to see properly for about ten minutes, then it's out with the cloth again. Everyone I know (including myself) has ditched the concept with their new spex. The glasses are always kind of "slimy" with that stuff on.

The extra benefit you allegedly get when using computers has to be compared against the lack of perfect vision using normal untinted lenses. And the pain of constantly cleaning them.

Plus, the lenses scratch easier. Oh, the vicious circle begins again.

Beware the phrase, "Do you use computers?"

I am getting pretty bad eyesight from reading off my laptop. headaches and pained eyesockets etc etc

Will getting a bigger flatscreen monitor actually help?

something like this
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1&sku=178232

thanks

i was working long hours staring at screen doing highly detailed work.
got similar symptoms myself and went for an eyecheck a while back. all the screen staring has done damage to my left eye which is natually not as strong as my right. nothing major but if i dont buck up and do the eye breaks i'll need glasses in a few years.
I neglected to take the regular breaks that you are supposed to (ideally you need to briefly look away at something in the distance every 10minutes just long enough to focus on it to stretch your eye muscles.

likewise for your shoulders back and wrists you need to take regular breaks to correct your posture and to flex your wrists and finger muscles to stop any repetitive stress injuries (Cramping of fingers and that)

its worth training yourself to take the regular break at the same time each day so it becomes second nature to you.

watch those eyes! :)

your laptop monitor is much better than an old crt but as suggested here increase font size, check for the optimum distance you should be away from the screen and if necessary get a bigger lcd monitor to plug in to your laptop to increase your visible working space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back