Old College books, what to do? (1 Viewer)

classic seanc

Yo,

I have millions of books from college that I've kept for some sort of nostalgic reason.
But really they're useless to me and I hate them. Many are out of date now.

Is there a place I can take some of them where they'll be put to good use? Or should I just feck em all in the bin?

freecycle them. some people may enjoy reading old text books as an introduction to a subject of interest - trust me....

what subjects?

don't bin them.

at a last move you could make som furniture from them..

a table

books.jpg

a lamp

zlamp_75118.jpg

etc

freecycle them. some people may enjoy reading old text books as an introduction to a subject of interest - trust me....

what subjects?

don't bin them.

at a last move you could make som furniture from them..

a table

a lamp

etc

This is true. I collect old textbooks, mostly 19th and early 20th century ones. I say 'collect' but really I mean 'have a few and would like more when I can afford to pay my rent'.

Whatever you do, don't fuck them into the bin.

"The man was quite black, a clear indication that he was stupid"

(c) anthropology back in the day

"The man was quite black, a clear indication that he was stupid"

(c) anthropology back in the day

Yeah, those are pretty much the kinds of things I collect. Old etiquette guides, children's books meant to teach lessons (like Wopsy, the little black imp, written by some sort of nun to teach little white children that sometimes little black children are enchanted creatures who will do voodoo on you), morality stories, religious stuff, geography, sociology, anthropology, old political satire, etc.

Got some good ones, but would like lots more. Have an amazing phrenology handbook and a 19th-century slang dictionary and a book on 'Russians as People'. A cool hundred-years-before-the-Onion book called 'The Benefits of Assassination'.

Depends what course you did, and what you mean by 'out of date'.

If they still might be useful to students in some way, you might be able to donate them to the Students' Union, who can either re-sell them or give them to someone who could use them.

Out of date: Books about tax and books with stuff about accounting standards and rules, which need to be replaced every year (and they cost fucking €60)
Most are pretty much grand though, the only thing would be that they don't really take account of the internets as much as newer ones prob do.

I had a very very very satisfying bonfire.

:) That was my plan too

Gambra: Management was the course...organisational development: quite interesting, financial reporting standards: not so interesting, marketing: utter cuntitude. I could give you a full list of subjects if you like.

Gambra: Management was the course...organisational development: quite interesting, financial reporting standards: not so interesting, marketing: utter cuntitude. I could give you a full list of subjects if you like.

Ah its ok. I doubt any of them have any relevance to my course (History/Politics) anyway..

Maybe it's the archivist/archaeologist/hoarder in me, but I'm sure they will be useful to someone, or they will be in about twenty years. And anyway, if they still have some of the basics (stuff that isn't necessarily updated, but just introductory things and theories that change much more slowly), they could be useful for someone who otherwise wouldn't have any bukes at all.

I just don't think you should put them into the skip or burn them because, I dunno, they're books, and it just kind of seems wrong.

deconstruct them.

[but deconstruction - if such a thing exists - is always already at work within the text, an aporia, then, between reality and fiction; neither dead, nor alive.]

anyone got Exploring English 1, 2 and 3?

I do, all our schoolbooks are in me Da's attic.

I have a good few books on older versions of 3D software, Flash and the like but have no use for them. I'd say they still have some relevance so I might leave them down the charity shop.

I have a couple of Biology books from when I was in college a million years ago. I keep them for nostalgic reasons but suppose I should really give them away too as they might be of use to someone. Frog life cycles and the like can't be out of date after 15 years can it?

i may have a couple of old chemistry and physics books, definitely have an old maths physics book, and definitely have the three volume 'feynmann on physics' books. if anyone wants them.

on reflection, i'm going to hang on to the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back