NTL / UPC / Virgin Media Broadband (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 513
  • Views 66K
  • Watchers 11
Did you need to get the Horizon box for the upgrade?
already have one. they're shipping something else out to me tomorrow. no idea what it is since we already have the horizon box in one room and the previous HD box in another...

Got a new router installed as the old Cisco one was fucked.
4723250172.png

It's a thing of beauty alright. Was hoping they'd throw in a speed bump for the virgin media rebrand but sadly, no. They can supposedly deliver up to 1.3gb over the existing infrastructure so it's just a matter of turning the tap....

Got a new router installed as the old Cisco one was fucked.
4723250172.png
is horizon as a telly service any use? i have the 120Mbps option, and the on demand stuff is gash, shite box sets, fuck all new releases, assume they keep all the good shit for the horizoners??

Our horizon box has two wifi SSIDs. One is for 2.4ghz and one is 5ghz. Try both? You'll probably need to reset the password for the 5ghz.

Will this improve the signal?
Our tech guy in work suggested doing this too when I told him our signal had gone to shit. His reasoning( I think) was that there are too many other devices in the area on the 2.4 ghz band.

He also suggested some sort of plug in booster device.

Will this improve the signal?
Our tech guy in work suggested doing this too when I told him our signal had gone to shit. His reasoning( I think) was that there are too many other devices in the area on the 2.4 ghz band.

He also suggested some sort of plug in booster device.
He's right.

Can you recommend a sort of plug-in booster device--that doesn't cost a fortune?

I'm rocking a network cable these days...wouldnt go back to wifi

Nice n zippy

Cables for my i-pad, my phone, the missus' tablet, her phone, visitor's devices?

The house would be like a spider's web.

If your router is broadcasting both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and you've got some thick walls/upstairs/downstairs surfing going on, I'd stick with 2.4 ghz. 5 ghz has poorer coverage and penetration than 2.4 ghz. Also, bear in mind if you're using any iDevices and you're using iCloud keychain, these will propagate any wifi passwords across all the devices (it's a nice feature) so if you then connect to a 5ghz signal on one iDevice, all the other iDevices will now have the option of connecting to that which can cause some head scratching if you're trying to troubleshoot stuff. Just remember to remove it from your list of 'Preferred Networks' list to prevent headaches.

The downside of using 2.4 ghz only is that you'll hit a speed bottle-neck between your computer & router. If, say, you're signed up to a 100mb package & you do a speedtest on your machine, you'll see that you're getting speeds of ~50mb, that speed is correct as it's the maximum allowed over the 2.4 ghz frequency. To get the full whack you'll need to go 5ghz and be using a device & router compatible with 802.11n/ac (n being a bit slower than ac).

You'd think wifi would get better overall but I guess there's some law of physics that's preventing improved coverage. You can see manufacturers trying to compensate for this by building routers like this: New Asus 802.11ac router is as fast as it is ugly | Chips | Geek.com (I have a previous gen of this that has four big aerials, wifi is still not great in my not so big apartment, go figure.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back