NTL / UPC / Virgin Media Broadband (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 513
  • Views 66K
  • Watchers 11
Re: NTL Broadband

Yep, I find them grand, the guy who came out to install my broadband when I got it set up about a year ago was lovely too. Arrived on time, set it up on the pc and the laptop, gave me a wireless router, laptop wi-fi card (which I didn't need as I've an iMac) and other stuff.

Haven't had any problems with the service since either.

make sure the 20MB speed is gonna be available in your area first d, as i don't think all of dublin is covered......
i have no complaints with their bb or tv service at all fwiw.....

On the other hand I've had several nightmares with NTL.
I'm in the city centre and work from home, and have found that the service can be a bit unreliable, with several drop outs in service over the last few months. Customer service has gotten better though.

The one thing that pisses me off though is that in the last few months there have been several weeks where for some reason the speed on a 2mb line frequently dropped to about 100k. I rang customer service and a few times during this period and the guy on the other end ran some tests and insisted that the problem was with my computer and refused to budge on the issue, despite the fact that it worked absoultely perfectly in other locations.
So if contention is an issue, I'd say go with another service.

do they throttle torrents?

I think they do to be honest.

And to back up pissypants they are prone to total outages once or twice a year for a few hours. The telly and broadband both go on the blink. Inexcusable.

do they throttle torrents?
I think they do to be honest.

They definally do but it seems to be at odd hours.

I remember them giving me an immediate 'call back' when i enquired about traffic shaping , so they could deny it. NTL always promise call backs on issues but rarely follow thru..Me thinks the lady protests to much..

It was about time they got rid of they Download cap too - the British version of our service had no cap for a long time.

I'm like a little Pirate pig in pirated shit right nw with the no cap and 10meg down....Waiting for the 'Fair Usage' Fairy to send me a letter pretty soon.

They definally do but it seems to be at odd hours.

I remember them giving me an immediate 'call back' when i enquired about traffic shaping , so they could deny it. NTL always promise call backs on issues but rarely follow thru..Me thinks the lady protests to much..

It was about time they got rid of they Download cap too - the British version of our service had no cap for a long time.

I'm like a little Pirate pig in pirated shit right nw with the no cap and 10meg down....Waiting for the 'Fair Usage' Fairy to send me a letter pretty soon.

What sort of speeds do you get on torrents?

hmmm...with a few torrents a combination of about 350 kbps (if thats the right unit) a second.

On the 3megs (which what I had before the increase) about 180 kbps was my max.

It tuns out they don't do the phone in my area and i need a phone.

The withdrew their first phone service a few years back claiming 'the box may catch fire'.

I have the joint tv and broadband package. The broadband speed is great and I've never had any problems with it going down.

The only problem is that their customer support is dire - so if you run into a problem it'll take weeks to resolve it. We had a problem that we weren't initially set up with the correct TV channels. It took 6 calls and plenty of time on hold to get through to someone who was able to help us.

Watch out with the bill paying. They cut you off pretty quickly if you are a bit late paying your bill. Reconnecting means having to send someone out to your house. They can't just switch you back on from their control center. I got burnt by that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back