Nottingham (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0
Don't trust the Sherriff.

LOL

no wait.... if you're trying to cross a river and get challenged by someone to a fight with big wooden poles AND, AND you win the fight, DO NOT try and help him out of the river, it's a trick!!

hahhahahhahaherrrrrr ok. Sorry, I know nothing.

I've just come back from Nottingham, its really nice actually, some beautiful architecture. I'd imagine its a nice place to live. I just moved to Brighton for a year for the same reasons, its proving difficult to get a job... which is not exactly surprising, but aside from that and the odd bout of self-indulgent homesickness, its going really well! I hope it goes well for you.

Also hey, are you going for a masters or an undergrad? You can probably get a HEG grant for maintenance, they don't cover you for fees if you choose to study out of the country, but its always worth applying (before august 31st) for, you usually get about 1000 or so if you get the full thing, or at least a few hundred if you don't. Goes towards a few months rent, I'd imagine.

my girlfriend is moving there too. she used http://uk.easyroommate.com/ to find a place to live. the person she's moving in with said that Dublin at night is a lot more chilled out than Nottingham when she enquired about how safe it is.

do you like real ale? beer festival on there in October which looks great - http://www.nottinghamcamra.org/NottFest/web%20site/festivalindex.html

seems to be a good place for gigs too. if she has any better tips i'll post them.

Good advice. Cheers.
So she reckons Nottingham is a bit more manic? I've heard mixed reports as regards how rough it is.

I've just come back from Nottingham, its really nice actually, some beautiful architecture. I'd imagine its a nice place to live. I just moved to Brighton for a year for the same reasons, its proving difficult to get a job... which is not exactly surprising, but aside from that and the odd bout of self-indulgent homesickness, its going really well! I hope it goes well for you.

Also hey, are you going for a masters or an undergrad? You can probably get a HEG grant for maintenance, they don't cover you for fees if you choose to study out of the country, but its always worth applying (before august 31st) for, you usually get about 1000 or so if you get the full thing, or at least a few hundred if you don't. Goes towards a few months rent, I'd imagine.
How do I do that? Good advice indeed. Only thing is I have a Masters degree, so I'm not sure they'd give me money. Worth trying though.

HEG covers you for 4 years of Post-grad as long as what you're doing is a progression from your last academic undertaking - if its another masters then no, if its towards a phd or some other level 10 then yeah. Go to the website of your local county council and you should be able to download the aplication. Zap!

Wow, Nottingham! I have been there a few times for mysterious reasons. It has some great attractions:

1. the totally awesome oldest pub in England (Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem), in the base of the big hill on which the castle sits.

2. the only branch of Hooters in these islands

3. their local IFI analogue in which you can see art house films and eat nice food.

4. in the somewhat more dodgo part of town, the greatest caff ever, where they serve an amazing breakfast while singing Michael Jackson songs. That the place seems to be a front for wholesale drog dealing only adds to the charm.

5. Selectadisc and Gosh (which are both probably closed down now thanks to all you downloaders).

6. One of the best comics shops in these islands.

I'm not sure if Nottingham is necessarily that sketchy - I certainly never felt like I was in any personal danger while there. But it is a bit full-on on a friday and saturday night in the city centre. One of my pals who lives there says that students and university types largely shun the city centre for just that very reason.

Selectadisc is gone I think.

a 21 seater cinema! http://www.screenroom.co.uk/

don't miss the Goose Fair!

_a013365.jpg

also Google street view has the whole city covered so it's cool for checking out houses you might be going to view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back