Not Ireland (1 Viewer)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Stuff that other countries do really well and we should do here.

I just bought a ticket for rail travel in Germany. It was €9 and for that I can travel anywhere using local transport in Berlin or anywhere in Germany using regional trains. FOR ONE MONTH!

... and it's only for the summer. I mean it's cool and all, but surely there's other not-ireland stuff that's better
Oh ok. It’s shit then. Lock the thread Pete, apparently this absolutely stunning bargain and example of what you could do with public transport is not up to snuff.

Stuff that other countries do really well and we should do here.

I just bought a ticket for rail travel in Germany. It was €9 and for that I can travel anywhere using local transport in Berlin or anywhere in Germany using regional trains. FOR ONE MONTH!

Over here, there's lots of anti-tory people in my circle of friends hollering about this.

However, my friend who lives in Germany says it's just for certain routes, certain times etc. And from things I've heard from him, and working occasionally with Germans, the idea of German efficiency and sensibleness is a total myth. They're grand and all, but the mindset of the average German is not what you think it is.

But to your point; I think other countries do big infrastructure better than Ireland, because they're bigger countries.

Other than that, and actually this really got to me when I lived in Dublin but traveled around Europe. Bear with me: The idea of the Siesta.

When I worked in the Liberties on a 9-5, I would have wanted to go get my meat from the local butcher, get my bread from the local baker, etc. But I couldn't, because they were all closed when I left the office. Instead I had to go to the Tesco Express near the Bleeding Horse.

If all those butchers and bakers took their afternoons off, and then re-opened at about 16:00 and stayed open until 19:00, I, and many of the other be-shirted office pricks would've loved to have availed of their services.

Instead, Tesco got my money.

this is not helping with CA's post (sorry, CA) but i've seen multiple references to research over the last few years that beyond a certain point, reducing PT prices achieves little. what's key is *good* public transport rather than uber-cheap public transport.
i.e. that say the €2 90 minute fare in dublin is fantastic, but we'd be far better served building the metro etc., than driving PT fares lower.

hi peeps, I have my 9-euro-ticket and it’s fucking great

it’s not just for certain routes or times or any of that shit. the only practical limitations are that you can’t go on the super-fancy inter-city-express trains, and you have to pay a normal bike ticket if you want to bring a bike. other than that, it’s all trains, any time, anywhere in the country, and I love it.

the rest of the country may well fall apart as soon as vlad turns off the russian gas taps, but the 9 euro ticket is a triumph. the main thing they’re worried about at the moment is that the trains are packed because it’s so popular

this is not helping with CA's post (sorry, CA) but i've seen multiple references to research over the last few years that beyond a certain point, reducing PT prices achieves little. what's key is *good* public transport rather than uber-cheap public transport.
i.e. that say the €2 90 minute fare in dublin is fantastic, but we'd be far better served building the metro etc., than driving PT fares lower.
Isn’t the luas free? I’d heard it was free on Twitter.

Also, Bus Éireann don’t do the €2 90-minute fare within Dublin. The 115 is essentially a Dublin region bus and is another €2.24 on top of the luas for me - I’d save a lot if it was a €9 monthly ticket which is still desirable on top of making public transport better. I’m sure it’s not sustainable but it’s fucking deadly despite what your mates who once met a German might say.

Imagine even getting a weekly ticket in Dublin for €9? There are loads of us who have no option but to take the public transport options that are there in Dublin, better deals are possible.

On the subject of PT and how they do it in other countries, in Seattle in the bus, we were paying getting on when inbound to the city, and while getting off outbound. That way the dwell time at the busy city centre stops was much reduced. It was a flat fare which allowed for that.

On the subject of PT and how they do it in other countries, in Seattle in the bus, we were paying getting on when inbound to the city, and while getting off outbound. That way the dwell time at the busy city centre stops was much reduced. It was a flat fare which allowed for that.
That would be great. Sometimes I’m waiting 10 minutes for the aforementioned 115 to leave as each person slowly gets on and pays.

The buses in minneapolis had a big bike rack stuck on the front.

MetroTransit-bus-with-bike-on-rack-Source-MetroTransit.jpg

Driving like adults. Irish people are shit at this. Every traffic light has to be gunned for, the speed limit is seen as a target, rules of the road are fine so long as everyone can add or adapt them to suit their needs and mood. when i cycled in spain / netherlands this became glaringly apparent.

Also on public transport

There are cities in germany and when they plan a new housing/retail/neighbourhood development, they draw in the public transport first - and then build the thing around it so it integrates rather than creating a new traffic bottleneck. In Ireland that bit is done last, if at all

I was in Prague last month. It's really not very much bigger than Dublin and has had a simple enough metro system which is really useful for the last like 50 years or something, as well as a good tram system.
Dublin has been talking about 'metro' for the last 20 years and not a single bit of ground has been dug.

I was in Prague last month. It's really not very much bigger than Dublin and has had a simple enough metro system which is really useful for the last like 50 years or something, as well as a good tram system.
Dublin has been talking about 'metro' for the last 20 years and not a single bit of ground has been dug.

Built buy communists no doubt.

An airport line would be good, but imagine an arc line running something like Dun Laoighaire - Sandyford - Tallaght - Clondalkin - Lucan - Blanch - Santry - optional Airport - Coolock - Baldoyle , that would surely take an absolutely massive amount of traffic out of the city. Actually, the bus companies would go mental...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back