Northern Ireland (1 Viewer)

Uhhhh both flags are highly polticially charged and in the spirit of reconciliation a different flag could be considered?

But the time we made a flag that was specifically designed to include both communities, they invented gerrymandering and told us to fuck off.

It's only politically charged if you let the brits live rent free in your head btw.

I dunno lads

What you make of all this skirmish in ukraine? Those nazi ukrainians, best vladimir goes over and sorts them out. That flag of thiers will have to go too i guess, only a symbol for nazi's right?

I dunno lads

What you make of all this skirmish in ukraine? Those nazi ukrainians, best vladimir goes over and sorts them out. That flag of thiers will have to go too i guess, only a symbol for nazi's right?

TBH I don't really care, but I think if someone is really supportive of a united Ireland then it would be something that would be worth considering if it achieves that end.

edit: And I think many peoples negative reaction to the idea is illustrative of their idea of unification as a victory of one side over the other, rather than as a creation of a new unified state

I dunno lads

That’s bollox.
Stating the unionists won’t feel included by the tricolour they see as a sectarian symbol is neither condoning that viewpoint or suggesting we should change the flag to accommodate them.

There’s a st Patrick’s cross on the Union Jack - how many nationalists ever felt included by that?

The idea of redisigning the Irish flag to that is already entirely designed to accomodate both traditions is fundamentally a unionist directed idea. TAnother fuck you to the Irish culture the english government has invested generations in wiping out. They'll still cover the kerbs in union jacks and march on the 12th. Unionists dont want to live in a democracy and have proven that countless times in northern ireland. You can redesign the flag 50 times and they still wont want to live in a democracy. The idea of redesigning it is just a side talk. Classic self depreciating irish talk. If the unionists were to look at the union jack as you lads are looking at the tricolour, taking in every atrocity that has been committed under it, they'd be painting themselves green white and gold, but they don't, because they aren't actually afraid to be proud of it. What glee you'd have in westminster to have that green white and gold never worn at a world cup, olympics, boxing match or tourist number plate. The atrocities that bother you all so much stem from a civil rights movement, from the idea that people wanted to win human rights. You'll talk out of one side on the ukraine thread and another on here. Get a grip like.

The idea of redisigning the Irish flag to that is already entirely designed to accomodate both traditions is fundamentally a unionist directed idea. TAnother fuck you to the Irish culture the english government has invested generations in wiping out. They'll still cover the kerbs in union jacks and march on the 12th. Unionists dont want to live in a democracy and have proven that countless times in northern ireland. You can redesign the flag 50 times and they still wont want to live in a democracy. The idea of redesigning it is just a side talk. Classic self depreciating irish talk. If the unionists were to look at the union jack as you lads are looking at the tricolour, taking in every atrocity that has been committed under it, they'd be painting themselves green white and gold, but they don't, because they aren't actually afraid to be proud of it. What glee you'd have in westminster to have that green white and gold never worn at a world cup, olympics, boxing match or tourist number plate. The atrocities that bother you all so much stem from a civil rights movement, from the idea that people wanted to win human rights. You'll talk out of one side on the ukraine thread and another on here. Get a grip like.
But the time we made a flag that was specifically designed to include both communities, they invented gerrymandering and told us to fuck off.

It's only politically charged if you let the brits live rent free in your head btw.
All flags are fucking politically charged. That’s kinda the point.

Flags can come to mean very different things to different people, and very different things than the people who designed them intended.

The free state was probably pretty far from what the young Irelanders envisioned when the flag was first created in the spirit of the united irishmens mantra.

Your dead on that the ‘troubles’ grew from a legitimate struggle against 50 odd years of unionist cuntage. But the fact yhat the tricolour was a symbol of the armed struggle gives them reason/excuse to reject it.

And again - you’ll never placate the hardline unionists with any flag yhat isn’t the Union Jack. So we’re agreed there at least (I think)

Why is the Irish flag so commonly referred to as 'green white and gold' when it's quite specifically green white and orange?

answer 1: poetic license
answer 2: poetic license as a way to overcome the cognitive dissonance of confronting the paradoxes of a symbol that was designed to explicitly include all prominent communities in the hopes of creating a civic form of republicanism based around french revolutionary ideals of liberty, equality, and fraternity, but that ended up being regarded by one of those communities as an adversarial imposition through the process of the postcolonial imposition of an unjust settlement based around a narrow form of ethnically-defined nationalism and accompanying national partition etc etc

The solution is obvious right?

Mick%20McMenemie.png

add a hammer and sickle and clip art of bart simpson smoking a joint and we’re good to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back