North Korea (1 Viewer)

very nice?if you can say that. Every time I see footage or picture from there my heart drops. The motor way one slays me. I remember watching viedo of the captial at night last year...thousands of people.No lights or sounds.Just like a ghost town after 9 at night.Crazy place.

would have been interesting to see pics of pyonyang with all those cult personality portraits of kim jong il, the 'dear leader' everywhere.

theres an exhibition on somewhere at the moment about north korea. it's just picture after picture of famine-starved children....bleedin' terrible.

A friend of mine *ahem* who lives in the South is thinking of going to Pyongyang in the summer. Via China, of course. A friend of his did it last summer. It's possible, though freedom of movement is minimal, if nil.

Hup!

yeah; i have this morbid curiosity to visit North Korea too. being such a secretive state i'd imagine it would be a really 'different' travelling experience. im surprised the guy who took these pictures wasnt told not to, i thought their policies were extermely strict when it came to that?

was reading the wikitravel page about north korea last week.

phones bugged, being followed everywhere by your guide, having to bow in front of statues of kim il-sung and kim jong-il.....bleurgh!

still would love to go though...

i very nearly went last year when i was in Beijing, but couldn't afford it as its 1500 euro from Beijing (flights, visa, accom etc.). Keep in mind from Ireland there's the additional sizeable cost of getting to China.
La La, as a journalist you would have extreme difficulty going, as you have to show your employers, which is cross checked fairly riguorosuly, and they have a more or less blanket ban on journalists.

Be the Hokey said:
La La, as a journalist you would have extreme difficulty going, as you have to show your employers, which is cross checked fairly riguorosuly, and they have a more or less blanket ban on journalists.

Who you working for La La?

He/She could just go as a tourist no?

Rimbaud said:
Who you working for La La?

the south china morning post.

i'd imagine even if i wanted to go as a tourist i'd still have a background check done, i'm guessing. but i haven't looked into it much.

Rimbaud said:

yes, you go as a tourist, but they do a background check and there is an effective blanket ban on journalists (not a matter of policy but the travel agents i contacted who do the transferral of documents told me that as a matter of course journalists are rejected).

La La said:
the south china morning post.

Cool!
My brothers off to X'ian next week for a month to meet the inlaws.
Say hi if you meet him.

Christ it must be 7 o'clock in the evening there now?!Good to see monday is down for some.

Rimbaud said:
Cool!
My brothers off to X'ian next week for a month to meet the inlaws.
Say hi if you meet him.

Christ it must be 7 o'clock in the evening there now?!Good to see monday is down for some.

oh really? that's cool. never been there. never been anywhere in the Interior really. need to get paid more before i can becoming the intrepid explorer i feel i am at heart!
7pm means nothing in here. i could be here til 10 :(

therecklessone said:
The more I read and see of NK the more I want to go.

Next year reckless, next year...

p.s. I'll smuggle you in La La.

you've gone skydiving before, why dont we do a tandem jump into teh territory? i loved the way he explained all the pictures - i really enjoyed looking at them all. how much i'd love to go...hope i can someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back