No Way, Referee (1 Viewer)

washingcattle

Contributor
The thread for discussing referees.

And

Howard Webb has retired.

Liverpool fans might have strong feelings about him, the same as we do about Pierluigi Collina and Martin Atkinson. But I kind of liked him. He seemed honest, at least he admitted when he got things wrong

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This will always be what he's remembered for and to be fair he was fighting a losing battle. He cut this figure of utter desperation at times. As though he was back in his days as a cop trying to control a riot. He seemed to be pleading with players not to force him to send them off in the world cup final for their own sakes. The shame of being sent off at such a global event should have been deterant enough and yet Van Bommel, De Jong, Pedro and Busquettes were more than happy to show their arses on the most public of stages. Ironically few people remember that John Heitinga did actually get sent off. All the way through Webb looks like he's tying to reason with the players, like they're young men burning down their own neighbourhood as a form of protest. Honestly I started to pity him. He got two decisions wrong in the middle of the pitch early on and from then on the players just bullied or ignored him.

Anyway fair well Howard Webb having been a cop and a ref I can only assume he's quit to take up tax collecting, TV licence inspecting or traffic wardening. Fair play to him.

fair play to his handling of the Fabrice Muamba situation, otherwise he was like any other ref shite/good

BuXC5uuIAAMFHOK.jpg

I guess he got the most highly profile ones because he was well established. I always found he got involved too much. He'd have to have a word with the player on every offence and it'd just slow the game down. The best refs are the ones you don't notice. I always noticed him.

I guess he got the most highly profile ones because he was well established. I always found he got involved too much. He'd have to have a word with the player on every offence and it'd just slow the game down. The best refs are the ones you don't notice. I always noticed him.

according to some blog/website that analyses referees performances, Mark Clattenburg was the best ref in the premier league the last few seasons. He's probably the most 'i want some attention' ref going.
I'll see if i can find the link

That's interesting. Any idea how they compiled it? Went looking for their methodology but couldn't find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back