No of albums sold by a few bands (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 90
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 7
It's sad but it's true :( John-out-of-Stoat claims that most music journos get into it not because they're into music, but because they're attracted to the glamour of the music industry

some probably do, but it's not really that glamorous - certainly not here in Ireland. I'm just a freelance music journo (my full time job is as a news journo, which is a whole other kettle of fish) and there's nothing glam about it at all - it might get glam if you get to the stage where you're a household name perhaps.
It's mainly rushing place to place, or squeezing in phoners, trying to get everything done to deadline...the most you 'get' is free entry to a gig.
But I don't do it to 'get' stuff, I do it because I love music and writing, and it's a privilege getting to interview bands that I am a fan of.
I certainly didn't get into journalism for the money, because unless you get pretty high up, there's very little in it.

A really good thread boys n girls.

I myself am in a band and its been agreed that we will never sign for a label that is just offering an irish release, The theory that these record heads have is aload of shoite, IMHO the blizzards are an experiment for universal. Many irish bands have crossed the waters and released their debut album /single without testing the waters right here in ireland. The Thrills for instance, Lets be honest i know we havent heard nothing since the shite that was teenager but these lads were pretty big on an international scale. There was never any irish release from them before SMFTC?

My reckoning is to keep on plugging away and doing what your doing, In this day and age there is alot more oppertunites for bands with the help of the internet etc, Communication with lables on an international scale is alot more significant and easier to do. There are also conferance's such as SXSW, Midem, POPKOMM etc which if you impress enough your gonna be asked to put pen top paper. Any rep of Sony, Universal, Warner that are based in ireland havent got a pair of balls between them regardless of their piss poor knowledge of music. I know i sound bitter and that maybe im speaking with a chip on my shoulder because im still in a 9-5 , but this has nothing got to do with my personal involvements. Look at the amount of unsigned talent in Ireland and try tell me there's Justice. Jape for instance have over 1 million youtube views for floating and im sure richie is still on the dole.

Fuck the suits!

we all know what its really all about...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I keep reading the thread title as "No albums sold by a few bands" - which of course would be much more depressing.

It's sad but it's true :( John-out-of-Stoat claims that most music journos get into it not because they're into music, but because they're attracted to the glamour of the music industry

there's glamour in the music industry???

best music journalist at the moment is Patrick Freyne, his reviews in Hot Press are great little 200 - 250 word surrealists spins thru the musicsphere. He should be given his own column, or castle.

best music journalist at the moment is Patrick Freyne, his reviews in Hot Press are great little 200 - 250 word surrealists spins thru the musicsphere. He should be given his own column, or castle.

Mate of yours?

I think John Doran who writes for The Quietus is untouchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back