No more relegation if your club is owned by a foreign tyrant (1 Viewer)

Seriously what next ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15336398.stm

You can't score against a club unless the player who scores is worth at least as much as the other clubs least expensive player, thereby protecting the reputation of the more expensive players in the league ?

Fuck sake.

I'm sure all the English owners of the other clubs currently in the league would be pretty happy if they could do away with it too. Last few springs must have been very stressful for poor old Dave Whelan.

English top-level football is a pain in the arse, this is the inevitable eventual direction. Not something that anyone with a real feeling for the game over there would support, but those people aren't very influential, of course.
It it were to happen, it would be another example of top-level professional football becoming less and less of a sporting competition.

In theory I think it's wrong, as wrong as wrong can be. In practice it could work. And I don't say that because QPR are in the premier league now, quite the opposite. Last season was amazing for me, top of the table, unbeaten runs lasting months, a team with a great mix of passion, experience and a sprinkling of magic/madness from Adel.

In contrast I kinda hate being in the premiership. The crushing inevitability of games against the big teams, never being able to compete financially. Overpaid and overhyped players caring only about image rights and their own personal profile (yes I've got the hump with Barton already). If the the football league could maintain some kind of financial equilibrium between the teams the championship would, in my opinion, one of the most exciting, changeable leagues in the world. Well actually it probably already is. I know I'd rather be a team in the championship with a chance to win something every few years than being stuck in the premiership getting constantly shat on.

I hate the financial roller coaster lower clubs are put through every year.
Pick your 20 teams and go with them. If a team knows its survival is guaranteed it can make long-term, financially stable plans for the future.
It would make for better competitiveness, I reckon.

Will probably never happen though.

English top-level football is a pain in the arse, this is the inevitable eventual direction. Not something that anyone with a real feeling for the game over there would support, but those people aren't very influential, of course.
It it were to happen, it would be another example of top-level professional football becoming less and less of a sporting competition.

I don't think it'd even be a concern for the big clubs. The Manchester clubs (not now anyway), Liverpool, the North London sides (our shit start aside) are hardly ever likely to be in genuine danger of going down. If they want to blame Johnny Foreigner for the idea then it's down to the likes of Venkys and Short who it'd suit that'd be leading the charge.

Ah, I think so.
g.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back