Nightmares, Night Terrors and Panic Attacks? (1 Viewer)

jonah

I'm sure someone has posted about this at some point in the past, but I thought I'd post this anyway

Basically I've been having a problematic amount of nightmares. I've always frequently gotten bouts of night terrors, at least since I was about five or six, which I always find freaks other people out more than it does me, since I very rarely remember them. As of late though I've been having really very vivid nightmares, of a particularly distressing and disturbing nature, which for various reasons I won't actually detail here. Anyway, I find these more irritating because I usually remember every detail and wake up really distressed. Also since I almost always dream lucidly, sometimes during these nightmares I get that feeling of being trapped in it, because a part of me knows its not real, but it's like being forced to live it out anyway.

Anyway, its all very basic really, except I'm starting to wake up so shaken from them that I can descend into a bit of a panic, and sometimes even lead to panic attacks, particularly if someone wakes me up during the dream. I was wondering if anyone here has had any similar experiences, and has any advice for it? Its a weird one, nightmares, because its sort of part of everyones life, but its gotten to the point where I'm having the same dream every night and its messing with my head

I used to get night terrors as a kid..... mixed with a weird reverby/echo kind of thing on all sounds, which still occasionally occurs when erm, a number of things happen to my ears at the same time. I think it might be related to my vertigo actually.

Anyway, I've never got any of it looked at by anyone and I have absolutely no advice but i'm here to show my solidarity!

You got them at the same time? Like you got the weird sound thing during night terrors too? Blimey. I have heard of people having odd hearing things during vertigo, it could well be that!

here is an old thread about night terrors. I still have them nightly. Its a bit embarrassing as your meant to grow out of them it seems. I wake up not long after going to sleep, usually within an hour, in a blind panic, heart racing, short of breath and so on. i can go straight back to sleep usually and i have a feeling i dont remember most of them. i have a vague recollection of fidgeting around at the window last night before realizing what was going on, but even that memory is very hazy. i often jump up and turn on the light too, and on very rare occasions i run around the house shouting. i dont seem have disturbing nightmares though.

You got them at the same time? Like you got the weird sound thing during night terrors too? Blimey.

Yeah, I can still remember it all quite vividly. My parents tell me they were completely freaking out thinking I was going insane or possessed or something. But then I got better.

The night terrors went away fairly quickly and I have a trick to stop the other thing happening when it starts (rare enough these days). Flashback would be proud of me, manning up like that.

I have heard of people having odd hearing things during vertigo, it could well be that!
Could be, it's pure speculation on my part that they're related. If it started getting really bad i'd go to a doctor.

here is an old thread about night terrors. I still have them nightly. Its a bit embarrassing as your meant to grow out of them it seems. I wake up not long after going to sleep, usually within an hour, in a blind panic, heart racing, short of breath and so on. i can go straight back to sleep usually and i have a feeling i dont remember most of them. i have a vague recollection of fidgeting around at the window last night before realizing what was going on, but even that memory is very hazy. i often jump up and turn on the light too, and on very rare occasions i run around the house shouting. i dont seem have disturbing nightmares though.

any chance you could log onto thumped and give us the lowdown?

Thank you! I had a look through that thread, its got some definitely interesting things. I've definitely done the running around the house shouting thing too... as I said I think night terrors are worse for those around you, because it is all a bit creepy.

Jonah, have you put heavier blankets on your bed now the nights are getting colder? I nearly always get nightmares when I overheat when I'm asleep, took me years to make the connection between the two

Wow... that's definitely an interesting one. And in fact I have. I might have to put to the test by ditching my quilt. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back