Nialler9 Hates Trad People (1 Viewer)

Re: Music 3.0 with First Music Contact & Jim Carroll

He's such a pleasant chap - not an ounce of bitterness in that article at all.

You’ll see that users now need a social media account – Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn – to authenticate their login to comment.

So I need to supply the IT with my Facebook name/login to make a comment on an article? Really??

This reflects The Irish Times’s view that social media now forms a central part of our engagement with our audience. In effect, we’re aiming to move on from the rather antiquated concept of linear comments on articles towards facilitating a more dynamic set of real-time conversations around the many subjects covered every day on our website.

I must be missing something here but is that not, like, a bulletin board??

(Though its good to see them acknowledging that they are antiquated)

Antiquated? Comments is what makes blogs blogs, no?

I feel sorry for Niall on that trad thing - I agree that the article was wrong-headed, but his blog is usually really good and getting your ass kicked in public like that sucks balls.

Antiquated? Comments is what makes blogs blogs, no?

I feel sorry for Niall on that trad thing - I agree that the article was wrong-headed, but his blog is usually really good and getting your ass kicked in public like that sucks balls.

I'm no expert on trad but I thought it wasn't a bad article. I wouldn't say he got his ass kicked - he took some criticism and dealt with it reasonably well, without throwing a complete hissy-fit about it and calling everyone who doesn't agree with him an idiot or something. Which is what you want really.

Some interesting stuff came up in the discussion.

oh my. I just had a look at the article and read a bit of the back and forth that followed.
Got as far as the "you should go to the Fleah..."
Lordy.

oh my. I just had a look at the article and read a bit of the back and forth that followed.
Got as far as the "you should go to the Fleah..."
Lordy.

I dunno. That seems like reasonable advice to me.

Git.The more I read of his output,the less I like him.

As I don't know him personally,or for that matter, his ever so talented multi disciplined friends,I'm hereby putting him on ignore as theres no point in harbouring negativity towards someone that has no bearing on my existance.

He's just doing his job.

Plus..I fucking hate trad,and purists of any description.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/

he's written about the nialler9 post

plus has disabled the comments section on his posts or is it just on my computer?

If you're on a work machine and your internets is going through websense (or some other content filtering software), if you can't access this URL http://cdn.realtidbits.com/libs/v1/comments/comments.js then the Irish Times comments won't work.

i've nearly wasted an hour on not responding to that 'purist' article, but pretty simply - and i know i can rely on the good citizens of thumped to let me know when i'm being an idiot but i see it like this: If you call someone a purist on a blog comment section, then write a article in the national online press with the aim of outlining just what these 'purists' are like which also links back to the conversation where you did this, then you want to start calling yourself a music troll rather than a music journalist.

There's a lot of weird assumptions floating around in that debate. For example, the one that places ultimate value on "progress" in music, what's interesting is that which is "new", and trad is stuck in some sort of rut that is needs to get out of, and therefore only becomes interesting when it absorbs outside influences and evolves into something else. Leaving aside the fact that (I imagine) trad has been doing all this for years anyway, why is constant innovation in music assumed to always be a good thing? Maybe if musicians spent less time trying to be innovative and more time trying to be good, then they might produce better music?

Maybe if musicians spent less time trying to be innovative and more time trying to be good, then they might produce better music?

Tell that to these guys:

TapTronic is a progressive fusion of Irish dance and electronic music.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Actually here's a wanky post for yiz that is tangentially related to the argument in Nialler9's blog comments.

A few years ago Leagues asked me (for some reason) to play on the line-up for the Haitian Earthquake appeal. This included the venerable Andy Irvine (a long time innovator and master performer of traditional music of these islands plus folk musics from further afield), Spook (who yiz all know), MDR (who yiz all know), and The Hounds (not the thumped band). My own music plays with Irish balladry and folk in a cackhanded way.MDR's music blends blues and folk with more classic cerebral pop songsmithery in which he tells intricate, subtle stories. His music really touches with the story telling tradition of this island. The Spook quite saliently display the influence of Irish traditional music in their work and the band The Hounds was a céilí band made up of snazzily dressed bright young things. I don't think any of them was older than 25. I thought it was a great line-up for a number of reasons (not least of which because I was on it :) ) but the main one was that each act presented a different part of a clear (to me at least) continuum of Irish music. I thought the quite straightforward traditional set worked well in the context of the other acts. Indeed, I felt the more traditional acts highlighted what was great about the other acts and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back