New Theroux: America's Medicated Kids (1 Viewer)

philbrooks

Louis Theroux – America's Medicated Kids

Faced with the challenging behaviour of their kids, more and more parents in America are turning to psychoactive medication to help them cope – even though the drugs, and sometimes the diagnoses, remain controversial. Louis Theroux travels to one of America's leading children's psychiatric treatment centres, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to get to know some of the diagnosed children and to try and understand what drives parents to put their kids on drugs.

Louis meets Hugh, a 10-year-old who has been diagnosed with ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Aspergers and Bipolar Disorder. Moving in with Hugh and his family, Louis learns more about his controversial diagnosis and gets to know a family where even the dog is on meds. He also meets Jack, aged six, a child who has been excluded from school for his explosive behaviour and now takes antidepressant medication for his anxiety. And when 15-year-old Kaylee, diagnosed with ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder, takes a day off her medication, Louis gets a glimpse of what her life is like without the drugs.

From "med checks" to "personal pharmacies", Louis explores the world of psychiatric medication for kids, attempting to find the line between ordinary bad behaviour and pathology; and trying to answer the question of whether the latest pharmaceuticals are taking the place of old-fashioned parenting.

Airs April 18th.

*Takes anti-excitement meds*

too right.
a therapeutic smack of the arse was what we got for acting like little bastards, none of this fannying about with behavioural diagnoses

I thought it was as great as expected. Jesus, I feel bad, but that kid Hugh (?) really annoyed me. I wanted to just tell him to shut the fuck up.

I would like to state that everyone in that show needed a hearty clip round the lug hole.Not least of all the parents.What a bunch of arseholes.

Yer wan Hugh's Ma took the freaking biscuit though.She just needs to man the fuck up and sort that kid out.He was a grand yunflit.His folks are complete dicks.

And Oppositional Disorder or whatever ya call it.Thats just pharma-speak for being lippy.

Loved that every scene with Hugh's da had wine within camera shot.

At the end it said little Jack grew up to be Roy Keane.

that kid Hugh (?) really annoyed me. I wanted to just tell him to shut the fuck up.
i only saw a bit of it? was that the kid who had a definite air of 'i will eventually bury both my parents in the back yard after coolly eviscerating them' about him?

the lad who came up with D is for dungong in the name an animal for every letter of the alphabet game. what's wrong with 'dog'?
smug little bastard
i kind of liked him in the end though

I had to remind myself that we were seeing the kids in their medicated state - so it's not so easy to say "that kid's behaviour isn't that bad". What would they have been like without the meds? The only one I would have my doubts about was that kid who didn't like to lose and who would hide under the table / freak out. Something about the way he looked for where the camera was when he dived behind the sofa screamed "I want to be seen doing this", and that he was looking for attention...

I felt quite cynical too, about Jack - how cute was he! - particularly when he went nuts about the marbles. I was like 'hey he's practically smiling!'

i only saw a bit of it? was that the kid who had a definite air of 'i will eventually bury both my parents in the back yard after coolly eviscerating them' about him?

yes! thats definitely the one. with his grandeur complex.

this is the job.
unbranded-calpol-six-plus-sugar-colour-free-strawberry-suspension-size-100ml.jpg

whats up with those people? Sending them on Louis Theroux, a man/show that actively seeks out weirdos.

They might as well put therm on jerry springer seeing as its an admission that they (the parents) are disfunctional, and the kids are basket cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back