New Manics single (2 Viewers)

I only listened to This Is My Truth for the first time this year. It is much better than I expected. Tsuanmi is one of my favourite songs now after having no time for it when I was a teenager. Great background reading to it on Wikipedia too.

Regarding the boring clothes, that did annoy me as a wanker teen. One of the reasons I drifted away no doubt. But Simon Price made a good point on a recent Do You Love Us podcast, with the disappearance of Richie they went through their mid life crisis as a band (and as people) when they were 26 or 27. Decided to put away the uniforms and go normal. Which looking back now seems like a good choice. Fashion was rotten then too, so I can't blame them for the trousers.

Generation Terrorists came out in 1992, last album came out in 2018. That's a long time for a band to be going. And I think it's really just a work ethic from their background. We're in a band, so let's make albums.

I've enjoyed every album during this years project. And it really does feel like catching up with old friends. That will help with my critiquing to be fair, and they do just seem like decent fellas from watching the Generation Terrorists interview above.

@chris d what did you think of Postcards? I gave it a listen yesterday and no, not great (aside from the main single which, despite my initial in this thread meh-ing back in 2010, is probably in my top 10 fav manics songs at this point).

The older I get the more I appreciate Richey's lyrics as well, I don't mean just the depressed gloomy ones but some of the really biting lines. He has a specificity that Nicky doesn't, I usually assume if there's a very specific metaphor in an old song then it's a Richey line. That and crucifixes. The man loved crucifixes.

I only listened to This Is My Truth for the first time this year. It is much better than I expected. Tsuanmi is one of my favourite songs now after having no time for it when I was a teenager. Great background reading to it on Wikipedia too.

Regarding the boring clothes, that did annoy me as a wanker teen. One of the reasons I drifted away no doubt. But Simon Price made a good point on a recent Do You Love Us podcast, with the disappearance of Richie they went through their mid life crisis as a band (and as people) when they were 26 or 27. Decided to put away the uniforms and go normal. Which looking back now seems like a good choice. Fashion was rotten then too, so I can't blame them for the trousers.

Generation Terrorists came out in 1992, last album came out in 2018. That's a long time for a band to be going. And I think it's really just a work ethic from their background. We're in a band, so let's make albums.

I've enjoyed every album during this years project. And it really does feel like catching up with old friends. That will help with my critiquing to be fair, and they do just seem like decent fellas from watching the Generation Terrorists interview above.

as an impressionable teen this photo got me into the manics in the first place

Attachments

• 1603877177201.png
    1603877177201.png
    584.1 KB · Views: 2
@chris d what did you think of Postcards? I gave it a listen yesterday and no, not great (aside from the main single which, despite my initial in this thread meh-ing back in 2010, is probably in my top 10 fav manics songs at this point).

The older I get the more I appreciate Richey's lyrics as well, I don't mean just the depressed gloomy ones but some of the really biting lines. He has a specificity that Nicky doesn't, I usually assume if there's a very specific metaphor in an old song then it's a Richey line. That and crucifixes. The man loved crucifixes.
Love it! It's a much better version of Send Away the Tigers.

I did read up on it first, that they were planning on a big Bon Jovi album. So knew what to expect, and that's exactly what it is. I appreciate that their song writing craft had developed to a point where they could decide, let's make an album of big catchy rock songs. I can't think of the lyrics right now, but don't remember anything offensively bad.

Makes me want to get up early on a sunny Saturday and go for a drive down the country. Then I do love Tom Petty. Bradfields vocals are so good.

Richey's lyrics stand up incredibly well. For listening back now when I'm nearly 40 and he was a moody* rock star in his 20s. Journal took me a while to break into, but lyrics on it are fantastic.

*term used lightly.

I mean ultimately I was pretty young when I got into the Manics, 12 or 13, I hadn't even started reading the music papers yet. They on the other hand, were entering their late 20s and acting like they were entering their 40s because they had been through so much. I was getting excited by rock music for the first time so I didn't need to hear complex, melancholic meditations with a muted colour palette, but that's hardly their fault! This is My Truth is a very good album, I like it a lot now. I love the big complicated chords in in I'm Not Working and Be Natural.

I love the big complicated chords in in I'm Not Working and Be Natural.
they are class.

I went to listen and one of the comments:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Spidey Sense
3 months ago
Is it just me or is the intro to this song a bit similar to the intro to Dire, Dire Docks from Mario 64?!

I was getting excited by rock music for the first time so I didn't need to hear complex, melancholic meditations with a muted colour palette...
Yes! This is on point. Good post.

I was 10 listening to Generation Terrorists and couldn't tell if it was a man or woman on the front cover. That year I was listening non stop to Pleasure Death and Nurse from Therapy as well. Which feeds into my opinions of letting kids listen or watch inappropriate things early doors. Therapy? were fairly nuts then, I suppose growing up in the Troubles is a much different atmosphere than to now.

Yes! This is on point. Good post.

I was 10 listening to Generation Terrorists and couldn't tell if it was a man or woman on the front cover. That year I was listening non stop to Pleasure Death and Nurse from Therapy as well. Which feeds into my opinions of letting kids listen or watch inappropriate things early doors. Therapy? were fairly nuts then, I suppose growing up in the Troubles is a much different atmosphere than to now.

are you for or against it?

Was Journal for Plague Lovers the one where they used Richie's found lyrics.
Yeah.

I think you can really hear James trying to force melody into some of them, where before (holy bible, like) he went with their percussive nature.

Great album though. I like it more and more as time goes on. It had a great tour as well, glad I went along to it because they don't play anything off it anymore.

Yeah it's really good. Not so much found lyrics, he gave them to Nicky Wire in a folder before he disappeared. Think he gave the other two photocopies.

On first listen there is a bit to get through. It's 14 years later. Were they cashing in on the spirit of the Holy Bible as old men. But nah, it's great. They've treated the subject well. A lot more polish than the Holy Bible, but it sounds really good.

That famously polished Steve Albini sound, eh?

Looked like well fancy digs...

Think they only got the tracks down with him in a few days. Then some other dude did the mixing and mastering? But come on, it doesn't have the bare concrete walls and 10am vodka the Holy Bible has.

Ah i'm kidding, I think it's about as raw as they will allow themselves to get these days though. Like, this is them going for raw, not them going for polished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back