New Manics single (2 Viewers)

I've been meaning to give all the post-2000 b-sides a listen for a while now but it's a bit of a pain in the arse as there are loads not on Spotify so it's a case of hunting them down on YouTube.

Enjoying* this 90s remix of roses in the hospital. Proper bucket hat stuff. I used to hate remixes so much as a teenager oh man

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

*lol

Enjoyed this

And this session from the Lifeblood release

Was in town today for an eye test. Tower northside didnt have the new JDB album :(

Got Postcards from a Young Man instead. Next one on the list, although I haven't started Journal for Plague Lovers yet.

Really love that bbc session above by the way. What a prick I was not to stick with them.

Was in town today for an eye test. Tower northside didnt have the new JDB album :(

Got Postcards from a Young Man instead. Next one on the list, although I haven't started Journal for Plague Lovers yet.

Really love that bbc session above by the way. What a prick I was not to stick with them.
Ah I find I go through phases of listening to them, I got big back into them circa the National Treasures singles collection (me & @ilovehoovering went to see them at that london gig and all. remember gigs :cautious: ) then I kind of trailed off for a few years, been back on the wagon this year catching up on stuff.

Aside from the lead single, which I loved, Postcards did nothing for me at the time but i'm willing to give it a shot with fresh ears and a more open minded view at what they were going for.

This is My Truth has to be the strangest, least commercial, least fun, biggest album of someone's career.

Bought the new JDB album based around Víctor Jara. Nice to be up to date with a release.

Haven't gone deep yet, but sounds good. Lots of nice guitars. And I'm learning. Capel Celyn
I gave it a listen and liked it well enough, been listening to James' podcast about it as well, s'good. I keep meaning to give his first solo album another whirl but it's.... boring.

ROCKER REACTION

"Looks like it's about just the lifestyle of rock and roll and being condemned to it"

Amazing. What a song. Could've sworn I saw them play it live at some point but not according to setlist fm. I always wanted to see them play it add on the second half of Rocket Queen. Might've said that before but pretty sure it'd be incredible.

Fair play - he rumbled the drum machine! Was wondering if he'd get that.

Last edited:
Have bought everything now, this will be the first new years resolution ive ever completed.

Had one decent listen to Rewind the Film today. Sounded really good, like a Darkness on the Edge of Town for a Welsh stadium band.

Surprised with how much i love Journal for Plague Lovers. I may be pissed and nostalgic, but it's amazing.

This is My Truth has to be the strangest, least commercial, least fun, biggest album of someone's career.
I dunno what age i was, but the song and video to If You Tolerate This...was such a drag, and was so weirdly popular in the UK, that this is whereabouts i dropped out and hitched my wagon to Americana and Wilco.

Ashamed of myself 20 years later.

I dunno what age i was, but the song and video to If You Tolerate This...was such a drag, and was so weirdly popular in the UK, that this is whereabouts i dropped out and hitched my wagon to Americana and Wilco.

Ashamed of myself 20 years later.
Tolerate was a fucking pain, tedious late 90s alt-rock on every 20 mins on the radio. Then followed by "now jump up and down for the chorus kids" You Stole the Sun... Not to mention their M&S beige combats look at the time :cautious:. I didn't even get a copy of This is My Truth for years.

In retrospect Tolerate sounds very good and, well, the verses to You Stole the Sun are gorgeous, lovely guitar riff and the melody is great. David Holmes made it into something worth listening to:

Tolerate was a fucking pain, tedious late 90s alt-rock on every 20 mins on the radio. Then followed by "now jump up and down for the chorus kids" You Stole the Sun... Not to mention their M&S beige combats look at the time :cautious:. I didn't even get a copy of This is My Truth for years.

In retrospect Tolerate sounds very good and, well, the verses to You Stole the Sun are gorgeous, lovely guitar riff and the melody is great. David Holmes made it into something worth listening to:

I actually really liked that album at the time but stopped listening to them after that. I remember loving some of the tunes like Black Dog and You're Tender. The album was definitely a downer but I remember thinking of it at the time in the context of Everything Must Go being kind of a celebratory album where they were overcoming this horrible tragedy and being glad to be alive. And This is My Truth being like the soundtrack for that period after the funeral where everyone has left and you have to try and get back to living a normal life despite still feeling like crap. It's a downer alright but I think it captures something that very few albums do.
As I said, I fell out of touch with them after that. I think what killed them for me was that Why So Sad single. I just remember it being really fucking tedious. They've had a few decent singles since then but I've never felt like investigating a full album.

And This is My Truth being like the soundtrack for that period after the funeral where everyone has left and you have to try and get back to living a normal life despite still feeling like crap. It's a downer alright but I think it captures something that very few albums do.

That describes it well.

Enjoying this Manics discussion where is catch 1 in 5 references. It's like almost every Metal themed podcast that just turns into a Kiss discussion eventually. I mean, no interest in Kiss but I'll listen to people talk passionately about rock music all day.

I actually really liked that album at the time but stopped listening to them after that. I remember loving some of the tunes like Black Dog and You're Tender. The album was definitely a downer but I remember thinking of it at the time in the context of Everything Must Go being kind of a celebratory album where they were overcoming this horrible tragedy and being glad to be alive. And This is My Truth being like the soundtrack for that period after the funeral where everyone has left and you have to try and get back to living a normal life despite still feeling like crap. It's a downer alright but I think it captures something that very few albums do.
As I said, I fell out of touch with them after that. I think what killed them for me was that Why So Sad single. I just remember it being really fucking tedious. They've had a few decent singles since then but I've never felt like investigating a full album.

+1, just drifted away after 'truth'. I actually heard 'tolerate' for the first time in years over the weekend and its been stuck in my head ever since..

+1, just drifted away after 'truth'. I actually heard 'tolerate' for the first time in years over the weekend and its been stuck in my head ever since..

I still think it's a great song. I do actually remember playing it a good bit with a school band back in the day.

I still think it's a great song. I do actually remember playing it a good bit with a school band back in the day.

we used to play this - quality miserable manics

we used to play this - quality miserable manics

It's a great riff, can't think of any other song that goes from an A chord to an A Minor chord!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back