new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (2 Viewers)

Reds to be owned by the Red Army? I also like how their flag is plain red with five gold stars on it, twas might to be!

Chinese Government to buy LFC - The Times

The Chinese Government is the mystery backer behind a bid for Liverpool Football Club, The Times can reveal.

China’s overseas investment arm China Investment Corporation (CIC), which already owns a stake in Canary Wharf, is funding the bid fronted by the sports tycoon Kenny Huang for one of Britain’s biggest sporting names.

The debt-laden club is expected to change hands this month and last night the Chinese appeared to be in pole position to win a three-way takeover battle. The other bidders are a wealthy Kuwaiti family and an American private equity group.

Liverpool’s lender, the Royal Bank of Scotland, forced the club’s unpopular American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, to put it up for sale in April. A number of potential foreign buyers have been circling, but until now the role of the Communist Government was unknown.

The acquisition would be just a tiny piece of China’s vast global investment plan. CIC was created in 2007 to invest billions of dollars for the benefit of the State. The country has been able to stockpile nearly $2 trillion of foreign currency reserves because it exports many more billions of pounds of goods and services than it imports. CIC has $332 billion to spend abroad.

The fund already has stakes in natural resources and energy companies in Asia, the US and Africa as part of China’s long-term strategy of securing its energy supplies. Liverpool would be its first football club and a high-profile entry into British cultural life.

Neither CIC nor Mr Huang was available for comment last night, but insiders said that CIC would end up owning the majority of the club if the consortium’s planned bid — which values Liverpool at between �300 million and �350 million — is successful.

China is not the first foreign country to covet English Premier League teams. Arsenal, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Sunderland are all in foreign hands.

Manchester City, which is owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, a senior member of the Royal Family in Abu Dhabi, and Chelsea, owned by the Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, were bought as trophy assets. The owners have poured in money without seeking a profit.

It is believed that the Chinese would expect to make money by building a bigger stadium in Merseyside and developing the club’s Asian fan base.

Liverpool already has a sponsorship deal with the bank Standard Chartered, which focuses on Asia. Presenting the bank’s half-year results yesterday, Peter Sands, its chief executive, said that its sponsorship of Liverpool was the most cost-effective way of getting Standard Chartered’s name on to television screens across Asia.

The sale is being run by Barcap, Barclays’ investment banking arm, and Martin Broughton, chairman of British Airways, who was brought in as temporary chairman of the club in April.

Insiders said that it was a three-way contest between the Chinese, Rh�ne Capital, a private equity group, and the billionare al-Kharafi family of Kuwait.

Any buyer must be cleared by the Premier League, which has held talks with the bidders. The main test is financial and it is unlikely that a bid would be blocked from the cash-rich Chinese.

Mr Huang reiterated his interest in Liverpool through his PR firm Hill & Knowlton yesterday but said that he had yet to make a formal binding bid.​

Tranbzonspor in the EL play-off, could be a tricky trip away in turkey especially if we don't put a few past them at home first. Looks like the deal for Poulsen is all but confirmed too, can't say i'm delighted at that but i'll reserve judgement till I see him in a red shirt a few times. I liked the way the midfield was set up last night, it would provide more than enough defensively against everyone bar maybe the top six sides.

Phil "Phil" Degen is off to stuttgart for a while. This is for the fallen reds, voronin, Degen, el zhar, riera...see yis lads

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yeah, but they won't be playing the crowd though. i'm not having turks fuck this up, no way.

masch fancies barca now. poor lad, he's all over the place.

yeah, but they won't be playing the crowd though. i'm not having turks fuck this up, no way.

masch fancies barca now. poor lad, he's all over the place.

This might sound like a typical 'yeah well we didn't want him anyway' remark, but unlike Nando I really wish Mascerano would just be offloaded. For a decent wad to help with other transfers of course. Poulsen should be confirmed in the next day or two. What say ye?

poulsen's alright. he's no mascherano, but that suggests that woy isn'tgoing to play with six to eight defenders and maybe try to win the odd game. good for the squad. masch is like crouchy as in you end up reverting to default with a player like him in the team, as in being overly defensive. although, that was probably more to do with rafa. i'd love masch to stay, personally, because he's class, but if he goes it's not the end of the world, because there are other ways of playing.

Tranbzonspor is the the most hostile crowd in Turkey. as scary as it gets in Europe.

The Besiktas were fairly scary/impressive, but we had to play seriously shit for them to beat us 2-1 over there and we did beat them 8-0 at home and they were Champions of Turkey that year. Trabzonspor finished 5th in the Turkish league, we really should be able to do them over two legs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back