NEW GIRLS THREAD: Clothes (1 Viewer)

i do a lot of of my clothes shopping in californias south coast plaza at the moment as the company I work for are based in orange county and I'm out there 2 or 3 times a year. Outlet stores are also amazing...last years clothes at seriously reduced prices. I fell in love with a pair of runners I saw in Schuh but they cost 110 yo yo's and I wasnt going to humour the celtic tiger...6 months later I was in an outlet store called the citadel and lo and beholdd the same runners, sorry, sneakers, were going for $40...back of the net !
...it takes a while to find decent stuff but it's worth it
If I see something I like in ireland and I can afford it I'll buy 2 of the said items...that sounds a bit sad but finding decent clothes in ireland as a bloke is impossible.

Random Clothes related thoughts :
when buying trousers it's all about the "hang"...most mens trousers are either really, really narrow at the bottom or flares.

Top shop clothes always shrink cause they're shite quality

don't look for jumpers in germany as all they have is polo necks

zara in blanchardstown have decent enough 'resepctable' clothes (for blokes) for those 'party glamour' christmas parties or parole board hearings

when going to new places...don't forget to bring a towel !

Shopping for clothes is shit buzz.

I avoid it at all costs. Buying trousers is a pain in the ass. All this putting them on and them not fitting etc.

I'm convinced that all those 'stylish' shops like Jack and Jones bump up the size labels on their clothing because it makes small vain people feel like they're big.
anytime I see anything semi-decent in those places I always have to get it in a size bigger than I would in a normal shop.

(hmmm: Question: is vanity mostly self-criticism or self-admiration?....)

I do, however, enjoy purchasing socks in bulk. they always fit. they're stretchy.

I like buying electronics.

jane said:
I've never met anyone who didn't have trouble finding trousers that fit properly. I hate the stretchy jeans more than anything else in the world (except mushrooms), and I used to have a huge stockpile of jeans that seemed to fit in the shop, and then just looked crap once I'd worn them two or three times. Blah!
i am, as i type, wearing a pair of jeans that i bought in the 'merica which mysteriously became too big for me AS SOON AS I LEFT THE US. i sense a plot.

i am intrigued (i tell you) with your success with the levis - i don't remember ever finding levis to fit my, er, interesting hip-waist ratio. my current jeans that fit reasonably well are french connection, which just have a teeny bit of stretch. they still look fairly presentable, but are getting more shapeless and i could do with a newer shinier pair.

stretch denim is the enemy. unless you have perfect thighs. or if it's in a skirt - my two denim skirts are a wee bit stretchy and it makes them soo comfy. stretch jeans just make me look like a mini-heifer.

i am wearing my new amazing shoes with skulls on (visit lorcanzo's clothes thread in the supporters' forum for more on these) my favourite jeans (which are becoming rather threadbare around the, er, bum), my neurosis t-shirt and my dressing gown which is white fleece with red and black paw prints on it. my parents' house is cold.

minka said:
i am, as i type, wearing a pair of jeans that i bought in the 'merica which mysteriously became too big for me AS SOON AS I LEFT THE US. i sense a plot.

i am intrigued (i tell you) with your success with the levis - i don't remember ever finding levis to fit my, er, interesting hip-waist ratio. my current jeans that fit reasonably well are french connection, which just have a teeny bit of stretch. they still look fairly presentable, but are getting more shapeless and i could do with a newer shinier pair.
It's funny. I had never had success with Levis before (I just nearly wrote 'sex with Levis, and that would be a lie), but they have a new range of girly jeans called stuff like 'Eve' and 'Marissa' or something, that actually fit nicely. My waist is very high, and I have relatively long legs for such a wee sprout, combined with small hips (that sounds nicer than saying I have a thick waist), so trousers are normally a nightmare. Do buy them a tiny bit on the small side, though. I bought a pair a few months ago that are a bit too big for me now. Luckily, after I bought them, I went back to get a similar -- yet different -- pair, and accidentally bought the smaller size, which now fit me perfectly. The waist isn't so low that it causes embarrassment, but it isn't so high that they look like granny pants.

I'm also a fan of the new line of Dickies for girls. If you can get them in IReland, they'd be very expensive, but they're great. They fit well, and serve the same purpose as jeans. I'm wearing a pair of 3/4-length ones right now, and I can't remember what life was like without them. I think they were like 20 bucks in the US.

Why is it that I don't know anyone, of any size or shape, male or female, who can find clothes in this country that fit properly? That's just dumb. I've been buying a bit more vintage stuff lately because, if it's been kept well, the quality is amazing. Plus, it's slightly more interesting and isn't covered in logos. And there's the added bonus of not having it made of lycra blend, which often seems like a good idea at the time, but is almost always a mistake.

My favourite shops: Penney's, Awear, Vero Moda.

I buy nearly everything in Penney's and regularly have days when I'm dressed head to toe in stuff I bought in Penney's down to socks and keks and hairclips. This is because I am mean and hate paying above the minimum for pedestrian-looking clothes (e.g. t-shirts, jeans, shirts), and most of the time I just want to wear pedestrian-looking clothes.

I will occasionally buy stuff in Top Shop, usually around sale time, and only if it's something the like of which I couldn't get in Penney's. :) About two weeks ago I bought a very expensive dress in River Island, but that was a moment of temporary insanity brought on by bright lights and feeling fat.

Also, shopping hasn't been the same for me since I read that poxy Naomi Klein book. If she's going to insist in taking all the fun out of it, I hope she makes all her own clothes out of leaves and yeast and recycled newspaper.

jane said:
It's funny. I had never had success with Levis before (I just nearly wrote 'sex with Levis, and that would be a lie), but they have a new range of girly jeans called stuff like 'Eve' and 'Marissa' or something, that actually fit nicely. My waist is very high, and I have relatively long legs for such a wee sprout, combined with small hips (that sounds nicer than saying I have a thick waist), so trousers are normally a nightmare. Do buy them a tiny bit on the small side, though. I bought a pair a few months ago that are a bit too big for me now. Luckily, after I bought them, I went back to get a similar -- yet different -- pair, and accidentally bought the smaller size, which now fit me perfectly. The waist isn't so low that it causes embarrassment, but it isn't so high that they look like granny pants.
cool so, i'll give them a go if i have any money left apres-chrimbo, with the caveat that my trouser-fitting difficulties are practically the opposite of yours - i have considerable hippage/bottomage, plus a waist that is both very small and weirdly low (i am making myself sound something like the hunchback of notre dame, amn't i?). oh well, hopefully if they have a big range of styles they'll have something to suit.

i am thinking of putting my AMAZING GROWING JEANS in the tumble-dryer to see if they will shrink....

don't think dickies are available in ireland yet, only england. they're expensive enough i think, cos they're trendy, rather than just being cheap workwear as i gather they are in the US.
my nine year old cousin does not like my shoes with the skulls on. this may prove to be a setback. also she said my stripy thigh-high socks with cherries on make me look like a clown. i'm *so* not going to her birthday party now.

egg_ said:
What is the fucking story with logos? It seems to be nearly impossible to get any sort of boys top without some sort of writing on it
dunnes. that's where you need to be. hadmittedly i am not a boy, but any time i'm looking for plain t-shirts, jumpers, hoodies etc (which is quite often as i am forever finding band t-shirts that are way too big for me and need to have the logo sewn onto something smaller) they always sort me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland