NEW GIRLS THREAD: Clothes (1 Viewer)

kirstie said:
I always feel really sorry for men whenever I go shopping with Neil because your choices are so limited. And while we can buy stuff for cheap, mens clothes in general are much more expensive, and you're very much shunted towards labels (and the associated cost)
yeah, me and me bloke were looking for a hoody/jumper type thingy for him to buy and they all had stupid logos on them saying bullshit like "Stud 756". What the fuck, like?

broken arm said:
I hate hate hate HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE shopping for clothes.

I am poor yet have expensive taste i.e. the choice is shit and anything I like is way too expensive. If I am lucky enough to find something that is OK and isn't too expensive I tend to buy 4 or 5 of them.

A few months back I found a picture from 3 years ago on my computer and I was wearing exactly the same clothes. :eek:
yeah, I hate shopping for clothes as well.

its not even about being poor, I have looked for clothes plenty of times when I have had oodles of money in me bank account (ah the joys of not drinking) and I still have not been able to find anything decent to wear.

I am very conflicted about H&M coming here. I have masses of H&M clothes that I've accumulated over the years that I can wear, safe in the knowledge that not everyone will have them, or know how cheap they are or how old they are, or can tell that they're possibly from the mens / kids department.

kirstie said:
I can't think of anywhere else in Europe barring London that has a better variety of high street shops (I'm not talking high end designer labels or boutiques) than we have.

Milan is awesome for decently priced and HUGE high streety shops. The H&M there is only gigantic

kirstie said:
I always feel really sorry for men whenever I go shopping with Neil because your choices are so limited. And while we can buy stuff for cheap, mens clothes in general are much more expensive, and you're very much shunted towards labels (and the associated cost) unless you're happy about looking like a Burton dressed Muppet. Plus your shoe choices are FUCKING SHOCKING. Another reason I am V glad I am female.
Oh! This is because women design mens clothes and basically haven't a clue.

OK. for the girls, can anyone advise me on where to find a decent pair of jeans?? See I think there are loads of options if you're really petite but otherwise the following problems arise again and again:

-The bottom of the leg is about 3 inches wide and is bet onto your ankle like a pair of lycra ski-pants.

-The thigh is so narrow you can't even get them past your knee. (I think these are made for spanish women or something...)

-They're so low that your crack shows the second you move from a rigid standing position.

-They have rolls of spare material in the crotch as if we're packin a mega lunchbox. Ridiculous.

-They have no sizes beyond a 28 waist 32 leg. (If I was a 28 waist I think I'd snap in half.:()

I like jeans that have a slight bit of width at the ends, not neceessarily flared though. Is this too much to ask? I'm sick of trying on gick jeans. I know people are very different when it comes to jeans but are they any out of the way places I might not have tried??

F

roxy said:
OK. for the girls, can anyone advise me on where to find a decent pair of jeans?? See I think there are loads of options if you're really petite but otherwise the following problems arise again and again:

-The bottom of the leg is about 3 inches wide and is bet onto your ankle like a pair of lycra ski-pants.

-The thigh is so narrow you can't even get them past your knee. (I think these are made for spanish women or something...)

-They're so low that your crack shows the second you move from a rigid standing position.

-They have rolls of spare material in the crotch as if we're packin a mega lunchbox. Ridiculous.

-They have no sizes beyond a 28 waist 32 leg. (If I was a 28 waist I think I'd snap in half.:()

I like jeans that have a slight bit of width at the ends, not neceessarily flared though. Is this too much to ask? I'm sick of trying on gick jeans. I know people are very different when it comes to jeans but are they any out of the way places I might not have tried??

F
why not shop in BIG&WIDE?

You should have a look at the Tall range in Top Shop. Their trousers/jeans are extremely long.

My particular nemeses are stretch jeans. I fucking hate the way they grow after a few wears to the point where the arse sags and they gape at the waist. :mad:

roxy said:
showing crack is the new black is the new going out is the new staying in

Juno said:
You should have a look at the Tall range in Top Shop. Their trousers/jeans are extremely long.
hehe, ah now, I'm not quite that bad! The trousers are at least a 36 inch leg. These are for uber-women. They trail for miles even on me. Speaking of which, French Connection's trousers are quite long, sometimes as standard. They do nice enough jeans but sometimes the material seems pretty shit. They often use some extremely light denim, which is all fine and good, but not for over a hundred quid it's not.

Ah listen, I'm sure I'll find a new pair I like sometime soon.

roxy said:
hehe, ah now, I'm not quite that bad! The trousers are at least a 36 inch leg. These are for uber-women. They trail for miles even on me. Speaking of which, French Connection's trousers are quite long, sometimes as standard. They do nice enough jeans but sometimes the material seems pretty shit. They often use some extremely light denim, which is all fine and good, but not for over a hundred quid it's not.

Ah listen, I'm sure I'll find a new pair I like sometime soon.
i dunno, my french connection jeans (which i have on me now) seem durable enough - maybe they do different weights of denim? more importantly, they fit me and are not what myself and my flatmate used to refer to as THE SHAPE (bootcut, bet on to the thighs, very low rise for that fetching "builder's arse" look).

re other ladywear establishments: i have many things from top shop, oasis (you're right, it's got very expensive, but you can get decent quality basics there if you rummage), and m&s (cashmere mix jumpers that you can wash in the machine!). i used to pick up a fair few things in the urban outfitters sales, but their women's stuff hasn't been brilliant lately even at reduced prices, imo. i think the rest of my wardrobe is from jigsaw (nice jumpers and good clothes to wear to weddings, etc.), brown thomas in the sales (seriously! bargain-o-rific!), used to belong to my mother, is a band t-shirt, or was bought in Foreign Climes.

and i want a H&M. oh yes.

Zita said:
What are you wearing right now?
We-hell

I do wear skirts, of course. I fear I have too many if the truth be told. At the moment I'm wearing jeans I got in topshop which i did love but are now old and I'm only wearing them coz I'm sick and I haven't been out in days. :(

It just seems of late that i can't find jeans to suit me.

Am I sounding like a broken record? I'm disheartened that no one else seems to have the same problem, I must say! Boo.

roxy said:
Am I sounding like a broken record? I'm disheartened that no one else seems to have the same problem, I must say! Boo.
I've never met anyone who didn't have trouble finding trousers that fit properly. I hate the stretchy jeans more than anything else in the world (except mushrooms), and I used to have a huge stockpile of jeans that seemed to fit in the shop, and then just looked crap once I'd worn them two or three times. Blah!

The key is: no stretch. It might seem like it's flattering, but it doesn't work that well on anyone. Fitted non-stretchy denim looks loads better, but is actually quite hard to find. They aren't cheap, but I've found a couple of pairs of Levis that look smashing, and that I practically live in these days. Funny, too, I almost never wore jeans before I bought these ones, and they've made my life tons easier. They also have such a variety of cuts and sizes that it would be nearly impossible to not find a pair you like. I think I tried on about a million before I got the right ones, but I'm glad I bothered. They're even the right length for me, which is insanely unusual.

Anyway, I'm wearing my jeans with a furry animal-print belt, and a pink poloneck jumper I got for 15 quid at H&M in Glasgow. I found some kickass stuff at a vintage place, including a gold dress which just might be premiered at the Thumped party. If I can find some shoes to go with it, that is.

The best jeans, I find, are ones that are miles too big. You never have that bloaty feeling or the terror of realising that you've become so fat that you need to buy new jeans and buying new jeans is a nightmare, etc. However, I overheard two boys in town talking about girls wearing baggy jeans lately and how it made such girls look like elephants. Then I realised that it wasn't so much like I was overhearing their conversation, but more like they were talking loudly enough for me to hear. Ha ha, that was pretty sound of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland