NEW GIRLS THREAD: Clothes (1 Viewer)

krystal

Since 2000
gals

let us discuss which shops we like the most.

me:

Urban Outfitters (mostly round sale time to be honest)
TopShop
Dorothy Perkins had a weird blip last year where EVERYTHING in the shop was nice for about 2 months, and really decently priced. Now however, it has gone back to decently priced frumpery as per usual.
Maybe I'm too old, but nothing in Miss Selfridge appeals any more, except shoes.
Oasis - occasionally for skirts but it's WAAYYY overpriced these days.
H&M - the dream.

i get all my clothes in TK MAXXXXXXXX. it's really easy to expensive price tags for cheap ones so i end up looking smart for little money. h&m does nice t-shirts and pants.

i tried to make the girls' thread about clothes, but noooooo, ye had to fill it with makeup :(

i got my favourite jeans ever in dorothy perkins a few years ago, and a gorgeous red top. for next to nothing. not much good in there now tho, indeed.
miss selfridge is indeed pretty shit.
penneys is good for tops and socks and like. and skirts - i've got about four skirts there in the last year what i love.
topshop is pricey for my budget but my mammy brings me there sometimes - i got the awesomest trousers ever in there the other week, and a simply gorgeous jacket.
my wonderful red winter coat what i love came from paco, of all places. 35quid in the sale. thanks to my mammy for dragging me in there.
dunnes is great for plain t-shirts and jumpers - when i buy band t-shirts that are too big for me i can always find something in there to sew them onto.
my two pairs of shoes came from schuh and a handmade crafts place in west cork.

edit: and a-wear is great, especially at sale time. my lovely red skirt was a tenner from there.
and dunnes is brillent for knee socks. i have a lovely pair with cherries on them that were about 3 quid.
penneys is brilliant for hats and scarves and gloves too. i got a gorgeous really long black scarf in there last year for a euro.

the thing about Penneys is that if I ever buy things in there, I see upteen scobes sporting the same. Which puts me off. TopShop has actually gotten pretty expensive, yeah. 40 quid for a v thin shirt and divil a bit of a coat under a hundred. Oh, A Wear is really good these days too, they must have a new buyer in or something.

kirstie said:
the thing about Penneys is that if I ever buy things in there, I see upteen scobes sporting the same. Which puts me off. TopShop has actually gotten pretty expensive, yeah. 40 quid for a v thin shirt and divil a bit of a coat under a hundred. Oh, A Wear is really good these days too, they must have a new buyer in or something.
the key with penneys stuff is to wear it with stuff that the scobes would never wear. like their shirts that are obviously aimed at miserly businesswomen - i have gorgeous fitted black pinstriped and red shirts that were a mere fiver each from there. wear with my neurosis t-shirt, nice trousers or a skirt, converse and perchance a nice v-neck jumper from dunnes. bob is your male relative.

kirstie said:
Maybe I'm too old, but nothing in Miss Selfridge appeals any more, except shoes.

I don't like Miss Selfridge at all. the clothes are very badly made.
They change their stock every few weeks so their emphasis is fashion (i.e. Just Seventeen featured them) rather than durability.

Does anyone read fashion magazines? The ones with millions of pictures of clothes and nothing else? What are they about then? I have never understood their purpose.

kirstie said:
Ja, I only ever buy shirts in there actually. And socks.
their skirts are nice too. both my denim ones are from there - they were uber cheap and they go with anything. also a nice pale pink tweedy one, but that one's falling apart already.

anywhere nice in london for cheap clothing? i'm off there on thursday for a few days.

Spake of badly made, RIGOR Island - shocking. Nice shoes though.

Topshop do the same thing though, high turnover of high fashion stuff, but the clothes are well made. I have clothes from there I have been wearing for years. So I don't know what Miss Selfridge's excuse is.

If I am buying a fashion magazine I buy Elle or Vogue - for at least you don't have to suffer through eternal pages of sex tips and true live lies. There's no pretense that they're anything but fashion magazines. I generally don't buy womens glossies much though. I do like fashion spreads actually, and I also like entire pages devoted to shoes and bags. Yum.

spiritualtramp said:
I don't like Miss Selfridge at all. the clothes are very badly made.
They change their stock every few weeks so their emphasis is fashion (i.e. Just Seventeen featured them) rather than durability.

Does anyone read fashion magazines? The ones with millions of pictures of clothes and nothing else? What are they about then? I have never understood their purpose.

Super Dexta said:
anywhere nice in london for cheap clothing? i'm off there on thursday for a few days.
Mmm me too!

Oxford st will be your man so. The worlds biggest TopShop and a HUGE H&M. Plus all the usuals. Try Portobello market too if you can, it's fantastic.

Top Man jeans are very ill-fitting. i think they're made for guys who like to fill their pockets with mobile phones, wallets etc til they end up bulging like hamster jowels.
Pop are about the best for awesome cords and stuff.

i lost all interest in shopping in Dublin after finding a street with about ten awesome shops in a row in Camden. hope i can get over sometime soon

george mcfly said:
i lost all interest in shopping in Dublin after finding a street with about ten awesome shops in a row in Camden. hope i can get over sometime soon
I'm heading over there in january, any recommendations on shops?
haven't spent a lot of time in London...

yeah you know what though? I was labouring under the delusion for years that we were really hard done by shopping wise in Dublin. But we're not. I can't think of anywhere else in Europe barring London that has a better variety of high street shops (I'm not talking high end designer labels or boutiques) than we have. And we'll have H&M soon which will be deadly indeed.

We could absolutely do with some more markets and smaller shops supporting the smaller designers who produce small editions of really interesting stuff (the sort who can't afford to get hundreds of copies of each garment they design produced commercially), but we don't really do badly at all.

cookiemonster said:
I'm heading over there in january, any recommendations on shops?
haven't spent a lot of time in London...
you can spend days looking around the shops in Camden
if you're coming out of the tube station walk up towards Camden Lock, pass it and and keep going straight ahead til just after a bridge that runs over the road. on the left hand side there's an entrance to a market area full of vintage clothes shops. i spent an insane amount of money last time i was there

Top Shop on Oxford street used to be amazing, but they got rid of most of their second hand section for guys. some nice stuff still.. very different to TS Dublin

I always feel really sorry for men whenever I go shopping with Neil because your choices are so limited. And while we can buy stuff for cheap, mens clothes in general are much more expensive, and you're very much shunted towards labels (and the associated cost) unless you're happy about looking like a Burton dressed Muppet. Plus your shoe choices are FUCKING SHOCKING. Another reason I am V glad I am female.

I hate hate hate HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE shopping for clothes.

I am poor yet have expensive taste i.e. the choice is shit and anything I like is way too expensive. If I am lucky enough to find something that is OK and isn't too expensive I tend to buy 4 or 5 of them.

A few months back I found a picture from 3 years ago on my computer and I was wearing exactly the same clothes. :eek:

yers. i'm all for cheapo clothes, but i never skimp on shoes. good shoes are v. important for your health. i don't mind things being expensive if i know i'll get tons of weat out of them, like my gargeous trousers (you may have observed them on my person at the hoot) or a winter coat. i've had my coat since the 2003 january sales and it was 35, but even if it'd been the full price of 70 that'd have been a bargain for the amount of wear i've got out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland