new Belle and Sebastian (1 Viewer)

hmmmm, my tastes would differ from most here by the looks of it;

Tigermilk
Fold Your Arms
If You're Feeling Sinister
Arab Strap
the rest

But I also think they've kept a lot of their best stuff off the albums. The first B+S I heard was when a mate gave me a copy of the Lazy Line Painter Jane EPs on a single disc. They ended up releasing these as disc 1 of the 'Push Barman' compilation that came out a couple of years back (disc 2 was I'm Waking up to Us (I think - that might have been a b-side), Legal Man, Jonathan David). Anyhow, that disc still rates as the best collection of songs I've ever heard by anyone to this day. Its not without its filler (Century of Elvis), but it contains the very best of what they've ever done (in my opinion), and that rates up there with the best of what anyone else has ever done (also in my opinion). Dog On Wheels, Photo Jenny, Le Pastie, Lazy Line Painter Jane, State I'm in, etc.

first one you got or first one you 'got'?

I love, I mean absolutely favourite song ever stuff, their Thin Lizzy homage song (forgotten what it's called) but nothing else does anything for me. I should give them another go

I'm a cuckoo

Avalanches remix is pretty sweet too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pretty sure my favorite albums list would run in chronological order, or no wait....Tigermilk, Arab Strap and then the rest all in third.

right, the new album. Well, its decent overall but the songs range from fantastic to woeful. The Norah Jones one feels like leftovers from God Help the Girl, which is fine and all but its not B+S.

I like that Sarah Martin is more to the fore on this album. She has a lovely voice and writes lovely songs (though shes no Isobel). Some of the other songs are up there with the very best of what B+S have ever done. The second half of the album I'm struggling a little with. There are one or two songs that have a distinct 'filler' feel about them. Maybe they're growers, but I don't think so.

hmmmm, my tastes would differ from most here by the looks of it;

Tigermilk
Fold Your Arms
If You're Feeling Sinister
Arab Strap
the rest

But I also think they've kept a lot of their best stuff off the albums. The first B+S I heard was when a mate gave me a copy of the Lazy Line Painter Jane EPs on a single disc. They ended up releasing these as disc 1 of the 'Push Barman' compilation that came out a couple of years back (disc 2 was I'm Waking up to Us (I think - that might have been a b-side), Legal Man, Jonathan David). Anyhow, that disc still rates as the best collection of songs I've ever heard by anyone to this day. Its not without its filler (Century of Elvis), but it contains the very best of what they've ever done (in my opinion), and that rates up there with the best of what anyone else has ever done (also in my opinion). Dog On Wheels, Photo Jenny, Le Pastie, Lazy Line Painter Jane, State I'm in, etc.

Have to agree with you Scutter - that Push barman comp is fantastic. I spent a huge amount of time listening to that and nothing else when I first bought it. I love a lot of those ep tracks. the first thing i heard by them that really impressed me was Century of Fakers from whatever that ep was called; it's still my fave b+s track.
they had the newbie on in Freebird yesterday while i was there and it sounded great! Looking forward to seeing them in December.

I used to love B&S and I suppose I still do but really the only one I can return to in entirety is Tigermilk. My Fav.

anyone else at the gig last night? I really enjoyed it. Especially once everyone got up and started dancing. Bit surprised they didn't play anything from Tigermilk though. The State I Am In was an option for the encore but they skipped it.

I loved it. I left thinking there were so many songs I'd have rathered they played than a lot of the ones they did play, but I don't think any setlist of theirs would have had me thinking any differently (they have too many deadly songs).

It was a very tight performance and the interaction with the crowd was great. The highlight for me was 'sleep the clock around'. Great gig.

was deadly. that grand canal is a strange set up for a gig, but it was great when everyone got up for a dance.

surprised and delighted with how much they played off Sinister.

they play nice.

Great gig..really thought the sound in that place was stunning..except for 2 locked bints attempting to have a party in my right ear...

Great gig. I was so happy when everyone got up. I was in row L and really wanted to before but didn't want to block the view of those behind me. Much better than the gig in San Francisco 6 weeks ago. Maybe due to not being cold but I love that new theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back