new Belle and Sebastian (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
right, I know this could be divisive as I'm sure lots of people don't like B+S. Personally I love them. Anyway, they have a new album out in a couple of weeks and I'm starting to hear songs from it.

Heres one;

http://pitchfork.com/news/40235-wat...on-jimmy-fallon-with-uestlove-from-the-roots/

the first video there. Its a good tune, but it sounds like it might be leftovers from the 'Step into my office, baby' album (if you listen to the lyrics, and just generally the sound of the song itself).

I liked their last album well enough but it was a definite drop from Step into my Office, which in turn was a definite drop from pretty much everything they did before.

Is this a return to form though? Probably not, but I don't envisage a further drop based on what I've heard from the new album so far.

And where is Steve and Richard in that video? 2 fairly key members (especially Steve) in my book. They've also added an additional female backing singer (I'm sure the rest are just the touring band).

Anyhow, I'll always get excited about new Belle and Sebastian music, regardless of how rubbish it might turn out to be (though I don't think they've done anything thats rubbish yet - even God Help the Girl, Murdoch's recent solo project was excellent I thought).

anyway, this probably doesn't deserve its own thread but its getting one anyway (since the new music thread got locked and all)

of course it deserves it's own thread.

I'm about to purposely listen to Belle & Sebastian for the first time since they released Legal Man as a single!

I have the lp sitting on me hard drive but I've not had a chance to listen to it(its a pretty sketchy copy).But I'm gonna give it a whirl and join in the fun.

They can never top The Life Pursuit as far as I'm concerned.

good stuff. I hadn't checked if it had leaked or not (trying to be moral about that kind of thing these days).

They leaked the shit out of the Life Pursuit though, and I'm pretty sure it was the band themselves that did it. I remember at the gigs in the Ambassador after that album they started slagging the crowd, saying shit like 'you're stealing food from our children's mouths by downloading our album. We know you all did it', but in a funny kind of way.

let us know what its like.

At the risk of sounding like a complete spoon, I preferred them (on record) before they became such accomplished musicians. I just don't find them as endearing as say, Camera Obscura, the Pastels etc. That said, they have become a fantastic live band and the Grand Canal Theatre will suit them perfectly. Will certainly give the new one a go.

Not crazy about the Life Pursuit. I thought the one before it was better.

Me either, but in fairness to Shneaky, I do like this track. My favourite tempo of theirs...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think I'll actually wait until I buy this before listening to it. I don't think I've ever done that with one of my favourite bands before. I really liked the last album and Dear Catastrophe Waitress was the album that got me really into B&S. And their gigs are usually great with constantly changing setlists. Went to see them three nights in a row last time they played Ireland. The third night was a bit boring though...still the first two were great!

anyone else on their mailing list? I got the same mail about the new album about 10 times from them. Suppose they just want to make absolutely sure that everyone knows theres a new album coming out

I've been listening to the new album. First thing that hit me was that every song has some clever production tricks.
I definitely noticed some great melodies, some bad lyrics and too many different singers.

PS The Life Pursuit is the best.

anyone else on their mailing list? I got the same mail about the new album about 10 times from them. Suppose they just want to make absolutely sure that everyone knows theres a new album coming out

i think i got the e-mail at least 3 times today

my preference is:

dear catastrophe waitress
if your feeling sinister
the life pursuit
fold you arms child
tigermilk
the boy with the arab strap

I know a guy called Sebastian Bell..not into music beyond a rough idea of whats radio-popular and B&S definitely were not on his radar when I assaulted him w the goof.

Is Life Pursuit like a B&S latecomers fave? coz I'm one and its mine.

Write About Love is good nuff.

edit: nah Balls to that....Dear Catastrophe it is.

I'm looking for a ticket for the Grand Canal gig if anyone knows of any going...

and the all important album ranking!

If You're Feeling Sinister
Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Tigermilk
The Life Pursuit
Arab Strap
Fold Your Hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back