Neutral Milk Hotel (1 Viewer)

I must be missing something. I picked this cd up recently, never having heard it, and having been aware of how much people raved about it over the years....and I thought it was awful!! Maybe it needs a lot of listens, but it's really not grabbing me at all, at all.
Advice?
I don't get it either it's like Bright eyes finally reaches his twenties and buys a bible.

i think they semi invented hipster music before hipster knew they were hipsters or something. i like that record - its well concieved without sounding like a big pile of floydy wank.

i think they semi invented hipster music before hipster knew they were hipsters or something.

sonic_youth_goo_large.jpg

?

From the first moment I heard it, I loved it. It's album you have to listen to straight through. No shuffling around or it doesn't make sense. It will always remain in my top ten of all time.

There's some other thread here about them where I said I didn't get the big deal and found that album quite boring and so on but ... now I really like it.

It's just that I don't think the songs are that great. The lyrics are mostly nonsensical - Ok i know lyrics don't have to make sense to be great or to work, but theirs just annoyed me. Plus, the way your man's voice suddenly goes from one key to another, usually up! Grrrrr.
The first 2 tracks are good though.

It's just that I don't think the songs are that great. The lyrics are mostly nonsensical .

Really? I think they (the lyrics) are deadly and love the fact that they are not straightforward. Goes to show.

The only girl I've ever loved
Was born with roses in her eyes
But then they buried her alive
One evening 1945
With just her sister at her side
And only weeks before the guns
All came and rained on everyone
Now she's a little boy in Spain
Playing pianos filled with flames
On empty rings around the sun
All sing to say my dream has come

Really? I think they (the lyrics) are deadly and love the fact that they are not straightforward. Goes to show.

One evening 1945

best song. never fails to send shivers down my spine

One evening 1945

Yup, that's exactly what I meant!

how is this only in Whelans?

I guess cos people would prefer to spend their time editing wikipedia articles about songs than going to see him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland,_1945

The song contains references to Anne Frank. In 1945, World War II ended and Frank and her sister Margot died of typhus. The lyric "all when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes" could be seen as a reference to the White Rose resistance group that existed in Nazi Germany in the early 1940s, though songwriter Jeff Mangum claims that he had never heard of the movement before In the Aeroplane Over the Sea was released.[1]
Also referenced in the song is a "dark brother wrapped in white". In the liner notes for the song, Mangum initialed the letters "(h.p.)" after the words "your dark brother". A critic of the Boston Phoenix wrote in 1998 that this "dark brother" was someone who committed suicide, a family member of one of Mangum's close friends.[1][2]

FASCINATING

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back