• Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 3

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Maybe this would be more appropriate in the nerd forum but I'll have a go here.

Netflix is now open for business in Ireland today. Had a look a the site and the selection of stuff seems pretty shite to me. I am not sure however, if that is just because the website provides some sort of crappy search interface and riches will be revealed when you actually sign up, or whether it is just really limited.

I'm interested in this because I think I am going to get one of those Apple TV yokes. Now the selection of movies on iTunes/AppleTV is also pretty crap. For example, there are seven French movies. Seven! However, I will be able to stream stuff from my iPad to the AppleTV so any sort of movie streaming service I can run on the iPad will automagically appear on my TV and Bob's your Uncle. If the selection was any good that is.

I've also looked at Lovefilm and that seems a bit better than netflix of iTunes ...

Anyone got any opinions/experience about this stuff?

I know I can just download torrents etc and stream them from the iPad or Computer to my TV but let's assume for now that I want to be legit ....

Apparently the "browse selection" is indeed just a tiny preview of what Netflix contains. You can sign up for a free month to check what's really on offer. Also they should be adding new studios to the roster pretty soon...

Haven't had a browse yet but I think I'm gonna go for it, considering they have tv shows too, 6.99 a month should be alright for it. I got a PS3 so it makes sense

I was about to sign up for the Netflix free sample then it asked for my credit card details. Now I'm reading the small print very closely. I used it in New York and it seemed okay but the selection was not great still €6.99 is pretty good and seems less than it costs to become member of sites like Megavideo or wherever you stream telly from I 'd pay it just to avoid the "you have watched 72 minutes in the last 24 hours either sign up or fuck off" message that plagued my enjoyment of The Sopranos.

Apparently the "browse selection" is indeed just a tiny preview of what Netflix contains. You can sign up for a free month to check what's really on offer. Also they should be adding new studios to the roster pretty soon...

Ok cool .. that's what I was hoping ...

Lovefilm won't work unless you have a UK address afaik.

Ah yeah .. just checked it out. I think you are correct as far as I can determine ...

I was about to sign up for the Netflix free sample then it asked for my credit card details. Now I'm reading the small print very closely.

I think it's probably an "opt-out or we start charging you" deal. So you sign up, the first month is free, and unless you explicitly tell them to sign you off, then they start charging after a month. I think I am going to go for it too ....

Not sure about this sign-up via Facebook thing with Netflix. I don't want all my so-called friends knowing what weirdo stuff I am watching

Log out of Facebook, it will enable a sign-up option using e-mail.

Ah balls I didn't think of that. Anyway signed up and then disconnected it from Facebook.

I still think the selection is pretty shit. There are six French movies. I mean, it's not like I am some sort of giant Francophile film snob or anything ... I'm just using it as an indication of the range of their selection but six French movies?

I typed in Lars Von Trier for the crack .. nothing.

They don't have the new series of Breaking Bad. I dunno .... lovefilm looked much much better. Pity you can't use it here

David Lynch - Blue Velvet, Dune and Twin Peaks only ...

Hmm, yeah, most likely I'll check it out for now but if the selection is like that I'll just wait untill they get more deals together. Which is bound to happen I'm sure

Netflix has King of King and Harold and Kumar get the Munchies. What more could you want?

signed up on the ps3, think it's pretty deadly, and once more content comes onstream it'll be terrific.

very pleased to see they have the red shoes on there, been looking forward to that

I think it's probably an "opt-out or we start charging you" deal. So you sign up, the first month is free, and unless you explicitly tell them to sign you off, then they start charging after a month. I think I am going to go for it too ....
My problem with that is that when you opt out you find there was a "it was free but minimum subscription is 3 months" so you pay double for the free month in the long run if you opt out. I can't find the fucking small print though.

When I signed up it said very clearly that if you opt out before the month is up you pay nothing.

Signed up on the PS3 last night. Nice simple interface and good quality streaming - although the film I watched got slightly blurry at times. The selection is pretty poor at the moment and judging by the Irish Times article today it'll be quite a while before users get new content. As you scroll though each category I could only see approx 75 choices, or less. Is this all there is for now or can I access more??? If that's it for now then i'll be ditching the service after the free month and waiting to see what happens.

If I've understood correctly, after signing up you could hook up to some vpn service and to a server in the states and get their Netflix selection. Would double the monthly cost but I think I might look into it...

Signed up on the PS3 last night. Nice simple interface and good quality streaming - although the film I watched got slightly blurry at times. The selection is pretty poor at the moment and judging by the Irish Times article today it'll be quite a while before users get new content. As you scroll though each category I could only see approx 75 choices, or less. Is this all there is for now or can I access more??? If that's it for now then i'll be ditching the service after the free month and waiting to see what happens.

The sister described it as being like the Betamax shelf in Xtravision.

deadly, incredibly simple way to get access to the US netflix library, and it's soooo much better

http://unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/

Cool. I'll send her this.

Thanks

Edit: Wait, is this to expand her current Netflix account so she can also watch Netflix US or is it just a total hack for anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back