Neil Young - On the Beach (1974) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 93
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 5
Young did a cover of Needle of Death on 'A Letter Home', that (mostly shite) album he recorded a year or two ago in that 'record your own record' booth owned by Jack White.

It's an amazing song. As is Ambulance Blues.
I quite liked A Letter Home, I thought it was fun and the crackly sound worked for the song choices.

A while back (circa 'Greendale'), Young played two nights acoustic and solo in Vicar Street. I went the first night and he finished with Cortez The Killer (it was fucking immense). My mates went the second night and he finished with Ambulance Blues. Still not sure which of us got the better deal.
It was three nights, "Cortez" was on the second night and "Ambulance Blues" was on the third night (which was the one I was at). The first night got "Campaigner"! Given that they recorded all the nights and released the Greendale section as a DVD with the album, I live in hope that he releases the full three nights (or at the very least a best of the second set from each night).

He's plays Cortez regularly I think? I've seen him play it 2 or three times, I'd rather get Ambulance Blues now
I've seen him play six times and I've only seen him do "Cortez" once.

I only managed about a song and a half of the Monsanto Years and I didn't bother with the Storytone one (unless that was that ghastly orchestral abomination). I presume you're going to see him this summer?

I only managed about a song and a half of the Monsanto Years and I didn't bother with the Storytone one (unless that was that ghastly orchestral abomination). I presume you're going to see him this summer?
Yeah, I will be. Even if he drops some clunkers into a set, the rest of the set usually more than makes up for it.

On a related note, has anyone read his biography (Waging Heavy Peace)?

It's totally mental. My old man (also a massive Youngers fan) was almost totally put off him in the process of reading it, so irredeemably shite did he consider it.

I could see where he was coming from, but I found it was bearable if I read it to myself in a Neil Young voice.
It's absolute dross, nothing but an extended ad for his shite eco-friendly (pah!) car.
Shakey is far better and a thumping great read.

It's hard to get beyond his grumpy face.

edit: playing it now anyway. All in for Album Club.

Last edited:
Its an album I have never listened to. The first play is on now so couple of songs in, liking it so far.

In my teens my dad gave me after the gold rush to listen to (I think he was sick of me listen to hip hop), I listened to it to death. Moved on to Harvest but stopped there and never moved on. I don't why not, I think I made a mistake not continuing on.

Give a couple of more listens and have the chats about it.

Moved on to Harvest but stopped there and never moved on. I don't why not, I think I made a mistake not continuing on.
It's mad to think that On The Beach was the album that followed Harvest. That must have been a shock for his audience at the time!

It's mad to think that On The Beach was the album that followed Harvest. That must have been a shock for his audience at the time!

Was there not Time Fades Away and Tonight's The Night in between?

This reminds me of my favourite Neil Young story. When touring Tonight's The Night he insisted on playing the entire album even though it had not been released yet. Nothing from After The Goldrush. Nothing from Harvest. As everyone knows, the album (Tonights The Night) starts and ends with different versions of the title track. At the end of the set, he says "Now I'm going to play something you've heard before" - to sighs of relief - and then plays "Tonight's The Night" again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back