NEIL YOUNG ARCHIVES (1 Viewer)

this might have been touched on in this thread somewhere

can anyone recommend 2/3 of his best in the last 15 years

i know the recent ones are ridiculously priced but i saw a copy of silver and gold online for 7 euro and got me thinking. apart from listening to bits here and there of his newish stuff, haven't dived into anything really

this might have been touched on in this thread somewhere

can anyone recommend 2/3 of his best in the last 15 years

i know the recent ones are ridiculously priced but i saw a copy of silver and gold online for 7 euro and got me thinking. apart from listening to bits here and there of his newish stuff, haven't dived into anything really

A compilation of the best tunes from the last 15 years would probably be your best bet. All of his albums have some really good tunes on them along with a lot of meh tracks.
In my opinion. I'm a fanatic but there's not a single album recently I'd listen to all the way through and think every song is great.

A compilation of the best tunes from the last 15 years would probably be your best bet. All of his albums have some really good tunes on them along with a lot of meh tracks.
In my opinion. I'm a fanatic but there's not a single album recently I'd listen to all the way through and think every song is great.

thats disappointing to hear

if you had to pick one?

thats disappointing to hear

if you had to pick one?

Psychedelic Pill is probably the most consistent, imo, if you like Crazy Horse anyway. There's plenty of other good songs on the albums but they just don't sound......right....if you know what I mean. For example....Spirit Road off Chrome Dreams II....it's almost deadly but it all just sounds slightly wrong when you compare it to similar tunes from the 70s. Likewise, The Painter off of Prairie Wind....sounds like something from Harvest Moon at the start but tails off and it just sounds like any corny acoustic shite you might hear on a midlands radio station. But you still like it, cos it's Neil.

Actually this new LP of old songs recorded in some ancient studio sounds like it might be really really good.

remember bits of what i heard from le noise (is that what its called?) sounded pretty promising. nah?

remember bits of what i heard from le noise (is that what its called?) sounded pretty promising. nah?

I actually bought that and forgot about it. I think someone compared it to Weld, which is just an hour of feedback so I filed it away for "when it's late and I'm drunk" listening. I'll stick it on today actually.

I actually bought that and forgot about it. I think someone compared it to Weld, which is just an hour of feedback so I filed it away for "when it's late and I'm drunk" listening. I'll stick it on today actually.

I assume you mean Arc instead of Weld? It's not much like either anyway, closer to ambient drone, Dead Man soundtrack would be the one that springs to mind. It would definitely be top five from the last fifteen years of Neil for me along with Pill, Chrome Dreams II, Silver & Gold and Prairie Wind. It's not really fair to compare anything to the 70's classics, they have no chance of living up to those.

A Letter Home sounds pretty good on first listen too.

I think Greendale is my favourite NY studio album.

Le Noise is good, so is Prairie Wind and Living with War.

Fork in the Road is utter gash.

I assume you mean Arc instead of Weld? It's not much like either anyway, closer to ambient drone, Dead Man soundtrack would be the one that springs to mind. It would definitely be top five from the last fifteen years of Neil for me along with Pill, Chrome Dreams II, Silver & Gold and Prairie Wind. It's not really fair to compare anything to the 70's classics, they have no chance of living up to those.

A Letter Home sounds pretty good on first listen too.

Arc, sorry, yes.

And I know it's not fair to compare the newer albums to the old stuff but when it sounds so similar, I find it hard not to....Anyway, I'm just happy I/we get a few genuinely good tracks from him pretty much on a yearly basis these days. When I first got into him I actually thought I'd never even see him live as he'd been away awhile. Same with Brian Wilson. I've seen the two old gets more times than any other band now at this stage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back