Needle phobia (1 Viewer)

I hate them... and in spite of that I spent two years getting acupuncture regularly.

I just close my eyes and sing in my head... pretend I'm somewhere else. Sometimes it works.

I've even managed to give blood a few times.

Edit: Although it didn't cure me I think the thing that helped me most was one time I was in hospital and the girl in the bed next to me needed blood tests but screamed the place down any time they came near her with a needle... I ended up holding her hand and distracting her while they took the blood... realised how silly it is to react like that.

haha. i have a touch of this too. thankfully i havent been syringed for years. i find if i just avoid seeing the needle im fine - if your at the dentist sit back and keep your eyes closed until hes injected you and put it away, likewise at the doctors / casualty just avoid making eye contact with it. this works for me.

ah lads i'm not talking "oh no the nasty nurse made an owie" shit here - I'm talking full-on fight or flight mode.

ah lads i'm not talking "oh no the nasty nurse made an owie" shit here - I'm talking full-on fight or flight mode.

Yeah... I know. I refused to go to the doctor many times on the off chance that I'd have to get an injection.

Didn't always fear them but I had an orthodontist take a chunk out of the roof of my mouth one time because of his "tennis elbow" and could never face them after that.

that's pretty much what the nurse in blanch a&e told me last year when i went in with me kidney stone problem. oddly enough, it didn't fucking help.

edit: my big jessie fear meant they couldn't do any blood tests or any surgical procedures to remove the bastard. i chose to take my chances with the ongoing, agonising pain of a kidney stone rather than being stuck with needle for a few seconds.

honestly though, its all about seeing. the doctor told me so when i was 14 and he wanted to put a drip into my hand and i almost had a stroke when i saw the needle. i read this article once about monkeys. apparently they all have an innate fear of snakes - show a snake to a monkey and it'll freak out. anyway, some scientists took a monkey and severed the connection between the two sides of its brain so that one side saw things with the one eye and the other side saw with the other eye but the two sides of the brain didnt exchange the info so if the left side of the brain saw the snake the right side didnt. they did an experiment where they covered each eye in turn and showed the snake to each side of the monkeys brain seperatly. It freaked out only when one side saw the snake, and when the other side saw it it was totally calm.

ha are you trying to desensitise me? won't work.

anyway i have a tattoo - it took over an hour & wasn't a problem. it's the medical needles i have a problem with - even then, i never had any issues with dentists sticking them in my gums, so i think it's the needle + vein combination that's causing the problem.

phobias aren't meant to be rational.

oh and i'm feeling a little ill typing this shit.

my little brother gets similarly helpful advice a lot - he's about 6'4" and broad and faints into a substantial heap long before fight or flight is possible. just thinking about needles is enough to get him to faint sometimes. somehow he's been ok for tattoos.

(i mock nothing - i have done bona fide crazy things because of emetophobia, so panic over needles sounds pretty damn reasonable.)

ha are you trying to desensitise me? won't work.

Nah, I was just trying to be cheery in the face of phobia. I was terrified of butterflies to the point of puking for many years and have only recently got over it, although I don't want a direct confrontation yet.

I'm not overly fond of needles, but I fear terrible pain more, so I can put up with them. I've had some mad needle incidents, which would probably make you vomit to read, but the fact of the matter is, if I had've refused them I would have been in serious trouble. I can't imagine having kidney stone pain and refusing treatment.

needles? jesus lads. just a tiny pinch. ever have a nurse stick an IV into your arm and fuck it up? i have. even a bad headache/toothache is a lot worse than a prick of a needle.

can anyone explain to me why you can 'smell' the medicine whilst it's being injected? that's whack.

needles? jesus lads. just a tiny pinch. ever have a nurse stick an IV into your arm and fuck it up? i have. even a bad headache/toothache is a lot worse than a prick of a needle.

can anyone explain to me why you can 'smell' the medicine whilst it's being injected? that's whack.

Arm smarm... until you've had an injection in the roof of your mouth you know nothing... and as for having that go wrong... I couldn't eat for 5 days and swallowed so much blood that I was vomiting for days - (SORRY EVERYONE!)

yeah and sure why don't agoraphobics just pull themselves together and go for a walk? pussies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back