My new charity shop cd collection (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
the most left field CDs I've found in bogger market town charity shops -
Stooges - Funhouse, Keith Jarrett - Koln concert, Husker Du - Metal Circus.
the classical stuff you find is the same old Readers Digest level things.

so basically a waste of time as you'd expect.

Not a cd but I found a copy of the Halfnelson album in a charity shop back in about 2015 or so, as in Sparks before they were Sparks. Decent condition, not a cutout or anything. I couldn't believe it.

They'd clearly looked it up though as it was going for 45 or 50 quid. I wouldn't pay 50 quid + postage for it on discogs or anything but I was willing to pay that for it in person so they clearly priced it pretty well.

If that’s a criteria, why even bother with CD?
The point is- many pieces of music are >30 minutes long- so having them interrupted by having to turn the record sucks. Obviously the alternatives are using a streaming platform (trying to avoid this tbh) or digital files (which I have plenty of, but it's just nice to have the artefact sometimes right?)

Im used to CDs and i like them. I joined the vinyl thing when we got space to have all the gear, but they are a pain in the hole.

I use both. I'm not so pushed on vinyl reissues, i'd rather track down an old album that looks and feels 40 years old if that's how old the album is, but CDs are good for, like, library reasons. Plus, if a band I like releases a substandard album with 4 great tracks and 10 average to poor tracks I probably don't want it on vinyl.

I like buying new albums on vinyl or albums I haven't heard before. You get a bit of the old fashioned pleasure of putting in on and hearing it for the first time. I'm not so so bothered about reissues either, especially in a shop because it's a pain in the hole checking discogs and steve hoffmann on the phone to find out if it's a good pressing or just pressed from cd or whatever. But sometimes if there is a new remaster of an old favorite or something interesting that seems to have had a bit of care given to it I might get it. I've been getting back into CDs again too, it's just that most of the ones I have I don't really want to listen to anymore.

I wanted to listen to Chill Out by the KLF last night but couldnt cos its not streaming. That hasnt happened in a long time

I wanted to listen to Chill Out by the KLF last night but couldnt cos its not streaming. That hasnt happened in a long time
They deliberately let their back catalogue go out of print. I don’t think it’s ever been officially available since it’s original release in any format.

They deliberately let their back catalogue go out of print. I don’t think it’s ever been officially available since it’s original release in any format.
They put loads of their releases on streaming platforms recently but edited any copyrighted material. So it's Chill Out but not as you know it... Actually I see they also changed the name of the album which is probably why you couldn't find it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have had a decent enough year for getting cds in charity shops... better for books I might add [based on my August findings, I'll have enough stock to open my own bookstore by September 2023]... got some Sparklehorse, PJ Harvey, Suede, Thomas Dolby, Pixies, Human League, two nice Fairport Convention ones... all for a eu, or 50p or in some cases 4 for a eu...

There's a charity shop across the road from Limerick train station - well worth going in there for cds... I got a few of the above in there when they were doing four for a euro jobs... and the last time picked up a Lightning Hopkins and Fred McDowell live cds for a quid a piece... the McDowall is ridiculously good. I also bought a 'Conversations with Derrida' Stanford Uni job for a euro... well, why not.

Tullamore is a good charity shop town based on last September or October.

Recently a guy in a Ringsend charity shop pulled out two bags of utter shite for me to look at, and said, "you can have the lot for 2eu." I didn't take any of those but they had Bleach by Nirvana, and I went, "how much do you want for this?" "ah sure, put whatever in the box there." Sound fella.

Been buying alot of CDs recently. Great value second hand, and for some music (modern classical, drone, etc) beats vinyl hands down. Who wants to flip a record evey 15 mins? Also avoids crazy postal charges for vinyl..

I'm back on the cd** kick myself... I hope video is coming back too. Getting movies off the net for free is a fun game, but bring back video now!*

*My mate told me a vhs store has recently opened in Liverpool and is doing storming business. Good little working class city.

**cds are going secondhand in places like Freebird and Spindizzy for like four or five bucks... eh, I mean, c'mon.

I'll only buy vinyl now if it's post-punk, jazz, or something that absolutely kicks the arse out of the format like Slint's Tweez [which I bought the other week in Limerick. It is exactly the sort of thing intended to be released on vinyl. You want to bounce off the wall and smash every window in the place after sticking it on. Out of joy, mind].

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back