My child is doing my fucking head in (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 311
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 9
Why would giving a mostly helpless little person who can't actually communicate "what they want" be a bad thing? Everyone gets more sleep when babies are being given exactly what they want. You can't spoil a baby.

Why would giving a mostly helpless little person who can't actually communicate "what they want" be a bad thing? Everyone gets more sleep when babies are being given exactly what they want. You can't spoil a baby.
Except Trump... he's a big spoiled baby

because what they want isn't necessarily what they need.

my preference is to give them everything they need - which, i believe, includes structure, routine and boundaries - and much of what they want, as long as it doesn't do them any harm.

our youngest was allowed into our bed on demand. at the time of writing, as he nears his 5th birthday, he is asleep in our bed while the two older ones, who weren't, are asleep in their own beds.

there were times, particularly with no.2, when i would have given a limb for a good night's sleep and i remember lying on the floor beside his cot, holding his hand until he, or often i, fell asleep.

my reply wasn't intended to be prescriptive, nor proscriptive, merely speaking from the experience of raising three kids.

each to his or her own and all respect to all parents everywhere.

from experience, a mistake. it's exactly what he wants!

I guess our boundary such as it is is that he initially goes to sleep in the cot at his normal bedtime (unless he's sick or otherwise particularly off form). after that if he wakes and wont settle we bring him in
i actually dont mind having him in the bed for the most part - just worried about building a habbit

Both of ours slept in our bed every night until they were 18 months or so and sleep in their own beds no bother now. Only very rarely would they look to come in now. It really is whatever works for your situation.

there were times, particularly with no.2, when i would have given a limb for a good night's sleep and i remember lying on the floor beside his cot, holding his hand until he, or often i, fell asleep.
Haha I remember holding our eldest's hand through the bars of her cot, and trying to sneak my hand out of hers after she'd gone asleep without waking her up - could take up to half an hour

Ours go in their own cots initially after night time porridge and bottles. (APPROXIMATELY 8PM)
Get dummies reinserted sporadically throughout the night when they wake up with a scream but are still mostly asleep. (APPROXIMATELY 10.30PM 12PM 1.30PM etc etc.)
When they are going nutso and you walk into to find them up on their hands and knees and looking wide awake & pissed off we will bring either one or both into bed/spare bed depending on availability and try to get them back to sleep for a while. They get humming/singing/books/youtube, specific order is variable. (APPROXIMATELY 3AM TO 5AM).

Calpol/Nurofen added as and when required with teething.

Any waking up time close to 6am and we call it quits.

Ours go in their own cots initially after night time porridge and bottles. (APPROXIMATELY 8PM)
Get dummies reinserted sporadically throughout the night when they wake up with a scream but are still mostly asleep. (APPROXIMATELY 10.30PM 12PM 1.30PM etc etc.)
When they are going nutso and you walk into to find them up on their hands and knees and looking wide awake & pissed off we will bring either one or both into bed/spare bed depending on availability and try to get them back to sleep for a while. They get humming/singing/books/youtube, specific order is variable. (APPROXIMATELY 3AM TO 5AM).

Calpol/Nurofen added as and when required with teething.

Any waking up time close to 6am and we call it quits.
rule book goes out the window with twins and our tag-team ways.

Got to consider how long you think you can put up with it versus quick fix. All the potential to be a tougher battle when you decide enough is enough for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back