musique française d'excellente qualité (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 49
  • Views 791
  • Watchers 2

Cormcolash

Website
geocities.com
I got into him through Messiaen too. I got an album of Messiaen's organ music in a charity shop and loved it but found that I didn't like most other organ music that I listened to after that. Then I was chatting to a church organist and asked for recommendations based on only liking Messiaen and he threw a few French names at me - Tournemire, Dupre, Durufle and I forget what else. Tournemire was the only one that I liked. Most of this type of music is inclined to get too busy and overblown for me, too many notes blurring in churchy reverb and pompous bits for the glory of God or something but Tournemire keeps it calmer and more ethereal by and large.

Jean Gillou

France has a long history of organ music going back to at least the 17th Century. A bunch of the French baroque composers were very active on the organ, mostly the Couperins (cause there were at least two of those lads) and Jean-Philippe Rameau, who would have initially been taught music by his da who was an organist at churches for 40+ years. Also that was back in the days of the Sun King, who was mad into music and pretty much started professional music society in France.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
She's Italian, singing in French and has a thing for evil billionaires but..look at her there

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
One of my absolute favourite composers is Eliane Radigue. She worked with the musique concrète guys but then decided to work with synthesisers rather than tape. She has a massive ARP 2500 in her tiny Parisian apartment.

This huge piece, inspired by the Tibetan Book of the Dead, was written in the wake of her son’s death. It’s a heavy work on so many levels but a deeply satisfying and beautiful work of absolute minimalism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads