Musicians: Do you have to make yourself do music? (1 Viewer)

I read something by somebody recently who made the point that creativity is almost entirely habit/process. You have to get into the habit of doing. It made sense to me, I used to spend loads of time making music, now I spend time thinking about starting instead of just doing it.

Apologies for running off at the mouth here, I'm enjoying the reading and the ideas. In relation to this post: I believe this is true. Spending of large amounts of time "thinking about doing" is crippling, in many ways. I have a sneaking suspicion that this kind of thing (I experience it constantly - I imagine many people do) is not confined to creative endeavour. It can be something which one uses to stay comfortable and not get up off one's arse. But if you randomly say "YES", before the cogitating starts, then you start defying your personal entropy. Which, let's face it, will get you in the end anyway. Might as well do some nice stuff before it becomes impossible. Do your thinking by using your hands and brain to make something. The part of one's brain which ruminates over such stuff should be lobotomised at an early age.

The only stuff I get done in my life, apart from getting into a car in the morning and going to work etc., is stuff I don't think about. I can't allow myself to think about it, or sure as shit I won't do it. I swim in the sea as often as possible over the winter, and I really enjoy strongly fucking over my internal ruminant by completely ignoring everything it's shouting at me as I walk down to the bathing area and push myself into freezing cold water. And I always, always, feel brilliant after it

Anyway...bla bla bla. Good thread...It's encouraging to read how different everybody's creative impulse is. It does seem to be a significantly positive part of every poster's life.

I only ever pick up the guitar to write when I can feel something germinating, and never, ever just to jam or practice.

I find it incredibly disheartening to sit down on purpose to try and come up with something, and then nothing decent comes to life. Puts me off going near the guitar for weeks if not months on end.

But if I only go for it when something is niggling at me, then it's utterly exhilarating and fulfilling.

Would probably be a far better guitarist if I forced myself to play more often too, but I'm far happier with the results when I do get down to it.

Some initial rehearsal for a new band (still need a drummer) was a wake up call for me. I presumed I could just swan in an call the shots with no practice since they were MY songs. Turns out I was the least prepared in the room. Had to put in a couple of weeks daily practice and learning. Haven't had the chance to put all that hard work to task as we've no poxy drummer.

I find what sometimes works for me is if i pick up the guitar and just noodle about for a bit. I try to play a little every day regardless. I don't "try" to write, instead as someone else said, i leave myself open to the idea of writing. I don't force it and I can get long periods when i don't come up with anything new at all. I do other things during that time and try not to stress over the fact the I'm not writing anything. I love playing and writing music as a creative outlet. The feeling of finishing a new tune is amazing and I love chasing that buzz; it doesn't always happen but when it does, it lifts me up.

I don't know what you're sorry about

I thought you were planning a comeback

Sure its all just a bleeding racket this rock n roll shite anyway.

I don't like most of it

welcome back
Howya! :) Thanks! Thumped has proved significantly less irritating than Facebook and a lot less of a time drain.
Just a thought, but did you think of trying Ballyfermot college or BIMM for a drummer? I don't know anything about BIMM but I gather there's a very mixed bunch of people in Ballyfermot, some great players. And a young person might prove more available and up for it. And less needful of money.

It depends how much you consider it work. I was playing for years in cover bands, 3/4 gigs a week and didn't touch an instrument in between gigs. In hindsight, it was disillusionment, but I think you gotta make it habit, and have a strategy. When u pick up an instrument, try not to make it an exercise of going over everything you already know. While that can be gratifying, its better and much more rewarding to have a lick, progression, technique etc. to take on. You tube is great for tips now. I would say I'd be an unbelievable musician by now if I had the internet 25 years ago to get tips n tricks from. Bloody kids, don't know how good they have it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back