Music Network recording grants (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 60
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 6
It looks like it has always been available to all types of genres of music. The thing is that Music Network organise classical events and work closely with classical/jazz/trad esembles etc. Up until this year if wasn't publicised widely to musicians from other genres.

Pure speculation but maybe they were told by the Arts Council that they had to do a better job on the publicity front, and at least give the impresssion that they were open to more submissions.

Fair enough on both counts ... that is dissapointing then. It will be interesting to see the list of things they funded this year then .... see if they did cast their net a bit wider.

Hugh - that's what I'm interested in finding out about really. There is a hell of a lot of effort you have to put into your application, so i wouldn't bother doing it next year if there's no chance of a grant.

PS: to Sweetie - thanks.

these grants are much easier got on a local level, get a culchie in yer bands and get him/her to apply!

I don't think any non "educated/officially in training" musicians have a chance with these awards though it is surprising that the guy from music network came on and said they might.

By the time you ended up filling out all the forms you'd be too browned off to bother yer bollix playing anything...

Honestly, this is probably one of thise things where you have to know somebody for it to be worthwhile even trying...

I could DEF use this money, but would NEVER get it... :(

A lot of stuff is like that in Ireland...I'm on the case for a different yoke..the amount of paperwork is mental..and you have to have someone "in the game"to sort it and everything,without that its a waste of time,sure you prolly even would'nt have heard of it even cos they keep all the good stuff to themselves, ...I hate this expression..but its a joke..

Agreed. It's a shame. I'm a musician, closer to being a pro again every day, I could really use an acoustic guitar, after my son broke my last one. Little things like that I can't dream of affording at this point.

But, you know, it's who you know, not what you're doing and what you need.

I know a bunch of these award winners. Trad, classical and jazz broadly and exactly what fills MNs year round concert programme.

These heads are making grant applications morning, noon and night and so I'm sure are super tight.

I'm guessing the MN decision is the result of consultation with in-house staff and outsiders, including selected composers, musicians & artistic directors from the 'arts council funded' (serious?) music circuit, not many of whom might be familiar with the stuff of thumped/ Richter Collective/ Skinny Wolves etc, which I'm sure is a disadvantage.

Why not have some representation (Richter Collective, FMC etc.) meet with Sharon from MN?

Haven't MN funded Donal Dineen's Fresh Air Festival?

Yeah I'd that is the way it goes. They probably work in such an isolated sphere of music that as soon as they hear a distorted guitar they run for the hills. I realise that jazz/classical/trad will always be seen as more worthy and deserving with these people, but there should of been at least one token award to a project of a more contemporay nature.

I reckon I'll mention it to the FMC folks next time I run into them. It is rediculous that they encourage other musical genres to apply when they don't appear to understand them. The time and effort alone that is involved in applying makes it all a bit futile.

Yes, but Sean has various projects and it's more Gavins baby, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back